Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sleep? What's sleep?

Lately, sleep has been more exhausting, than restful. I know what you are all thinking. That this will only prepare me for when the babies come, yadda, yadda, yadda. But hopefully then, when I actually do lie down in my what-I-used-to-think-was-comfortable bed, I may actually feel a tiny bit rested when I wake up. I usually wake up every hour or two during the night, and am pretty frustrated by morning. I think the rapid weight gain, mixed with the absence of exercise, causing pain in my back and my joints, along with the constant use of the bathroom, my tummy growling for food, and the babies saying hello in their funny yet violent ways, has really taken a toll on my REM Cycle. And it also doesn't help that KC was pulling an all-nighter at work last night to finish some overdue projects. I don't like a lonely bed. I've taken unisom for most of my pregnancy, but am trying to lay off it. It doesn't work sometimes anyway. So now I get it when I hear of pregnant people having trouble sleeping. I hear you loud and clear. But it's so true that the silly hardships of pregnancy are nothing compared to the rewards in the end. I'm counting down the days!

So now it is about 6 am, I've been awake since 4:30, ate a bowl of oatmeal, and took half of a unisom, in hopes that I sleep another few hours. Thanks for the venting session, and sorry about my complaints. I just know others out there can relate. And I definitely know it's all a small sacrifice for the little loves in my belly, but sometimes, they just gotta let mommy rest!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so sorry. i'm not looking forward to those nights... it's not so bad right now but i imagine it'll only get worse. of course, i'm not carrying THREE BABIES!!! take it easy - you're almost there!

Linda said...

Emily, do you have access to a pool that you can swim laps?? I swam until just a couple of weeks before I had Tommy. It was the best exercise for me because the baby floated while I exercised. I felt soooooo much better when I started swimming.