Monday, July 20, 2009

One happy pregnant girl.

I have been DYING to go swimming lately. During the first few months of pregnancy, it was the last thing on my mind. I just couldn't bare the thought of it with the dizziness and nausea. But, as the weather has heated up, and the nausea has become much better, and my belly has become significantly larger causing lots of joint/back pains etc, swimming seemed like just the thing for me. Not only does weightlessness seem so wonderful, but a little exercise would probably help that pain quite a bit. There is a pool within walking distance, but you have to be a member (which has a 2 year waiting list, and costs WAY too much) to enter. I can go with my friends when they go, and use their guest pass, which they kindly offer every time they go, and have even offered to just go to check me in, even if they aren't going to stay. But I wanted to be a little more independent than that. I was thinking about going to another nearby pool, that is nice because they have both indoor and outdoor pools. With rain being in the forecast all week, I thought I'd try this out. It's about $6.50 to get in, and that didn't seem so bad. I was about to get ready and head there, when I talked to my friend Jan, who asked if I had tried the Prince George's Sports and Learning Complex. More specifically, the Aquatic Center.

I am SO glad I talked to her. A while ago I remember her telling me her kids loved it, and it is really inexpensive, and open year-round, but I had never taken the time to look into it. I quickly did a little online research, and knew this was the place for me. The prices are great! For the pool, it's only $5.00 if you want to pay per visit, but I went ahead and got the month pass for a mere 18 bucks. I'm pretty sure that is the best deal around. Also, for a family, it's only $30.00 for the whole month. They don't make you sign contracts, and it's open every day. You can sigh up for a one, three, or six month membership, and there is so much more to this place besides the pool, but that is all I looked into this time. When it's time to work off all this baby weight, I'm looking into the fitness center for sure!

So I took the very quick 10 minute drive to this place and found it very inviting. There's a competition pool, and a kids pool. The kids pool looked pretty awesome with it's mini lazy river, huge water slide, and all kids of splash mechanisms. There was also a ginormous hot tub, which of course I didn't get in, but it sure looked nice.

On the other side there was a lap pool for the more serious swimmers, and a more freestyle pool area where people could choose their own form or water aerobics, and move about as they please. That is where I hing out. I was so giddy to start swimming. So I donned my new bikini, and was all set. (Yes I wore a bikini with my large belly hanging out. I have no shame. My mother-in-law and I saw them on clearance at H&M while she was in town, and we couldn't resist. And the cute cover-ups that were on sale were roomy enough for me as well. Thanks for the prize, Janice. I want to get a lot of swimming out of it before the stretch marks make their grand appearance.)

I was a little self-conscious at first, being at least 20 years younger than the youngest person there, and showing quite a lot more skin, but as soon as I was in the water, and felt every tension released from my body, all my qualms had disappeared, even if I did hear bits and pieces of conversations about colonoscopies, and other topics that might be discussed among this crowd. With my low-impact work-out, I fit right in with the senior citizens, even looking to them for some techniques I should try. I swam for a blissful hour (taking a break to eat my sandwich). And since it's indoor, no sunburns, or sunscreen, which I am very happy about. I even enjoyed the padded benches available for the showers afterward. It's like this place was built just for me and my triplet belly. It was disappointing to get out. It almost felt like the ligaments were straining more than before as I felt the weight come back, but it just makes me look forward to going back even more. Now I know what I've been missing.

I might just make this part of my daily routine. I have a feeling that the movement of the joints, and the exercise to my muscles is going to help immensely with the growing pain I am feeling everyday, and hopefully help me to sleep better too. This place is truly a blessing to me, and I just know my money was very well spent. Area friends, you should come along!

I thought I'd also add, that a friendly lady kindly guessed that I am 8 months along. Ha! I wish!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so nice to have a pool close by! I was hoping at the end of your post there would be a picture with you in your swimming suit to show off your growing belly...

Emily said...

Ha! There is no way that is happening Jill. The stares at the pool were bad enough. I just wonder what people would say behind my back, or I guess I should say, behind my blog!

Tracie Frost said...

Ah, the aquatics center! Now you know why I plan all my pregnancies for the summertime! There's nothing like taking a load off in the pool!

I am loving all these happy posts!

Unknown said...

ha! i'm proud of you and your bikini! i bet you looked hot. i have been going to water aerobics lately, and it has helped me feel better too. i'm not really showing yet, but being in the water eases my nausea surprisingly. i hope i'll have the willpower to go when i'm farther along like you!!! let's see some belly pics!

Jessi said...

ahah, this place sounds great!!

Unknown said...

I always wanted to go swimming when I was extremely pregnant too but I never made it. and there is no way I could have wore a bikini.. stretch marks appeared very early like 4 months I think it was. my guess is that if you dont have stretch marks right now you probably wont get any! thank your lucky stars they sure are ugly things.. I always say i have a road map that a gps couldn't even find its way around lol :) but Im glad you have found something to take wait off for an hour or so a day!

melody said...

Now if they'd only schedule a special "Pregnant Swim" time for you.

Sarah said...

Bikini? Woo Woo! I am so glad you discovered swimming. Sounds like this place will be great fun for you next summer too!

Susan said...

Thanks for reminding me, I really should get that family pass...

Amber said...

That sounds so nice. I did a lot of swimming when I was pregnant with Logan and I loved that weightless feeling too. Wish I was there to come along.