Saturday, July 25, 2009

It was bound to happen.

We were expecting this at some point during the pregnancy, but not quite this soon. I went in for a routine check up on Wednesday, and found out I had been having a lot of contractions. I had suspected that, but wasn't quite sure, so I was glad this appointment as coming up to figure it out. The good news is that the babies all look great, though one of the boys is a few ounces behind the others (we are hoping he catches up by the next time we take measurements, or at least doesn't get too far behind). But the not so good news is that they did see signs of possible preterm labor, but we are catching it early enough to do something about it. The doctor did make it seem like this is par of the course when it comes to higher order multiples, and all we have to do is stop the contractions to keep the babies in as long as possible. So things are starting to change a little.

First the doctor mentioned starting me on "the pump" as he put it. Apparently, a nurse comes to the house, inserts a tiny tube into my leg or my abdomen (much like an IV) and that tube has a small computer attached to it that gives me continuous medication to prevent contractions. He would also like me to have a Home Uterine Activity Monitor so it can make sure everything is calm, and it will also alert my nurse if the contractions are coming too quickly. It's normal to have some contractions, just not too many, so they are hoping to slow them down a lot, if not stopping them altogether for at least the next couple months.

Of course that seemed like a lot of information, and I was getting a little overwhelmed. But again, they seemed like this was pretty routine, and this is why I am seeing them as often as I am. They reassured me that with these treatments, they are very successful in lengthening the pregnancy with healthy babies in the end. We are praying for that.

Oh, and they told me, strict bedrest until my next appointment which was next Thursday, but has been changed to Tuesday, thank goodness. That's right, shower, and bathroom breaks only, but otherwise, lying horizontally until further notice. They said things could possibly normalize and I might be back on my feet soon, but there is also a possibility that I stay in this achy position for the duration of the pregnancy, which we are hoping desperately that that is still 10 weeks away, at least. Since I was given instruction to stay in bed/on the couch, we've had to get creative with my meals and snacks, since I still need them pretty often to avoid feeling a little queasy. Sweet KC gets me breakfast, stashes me up with a bunch of mid-morning stuff to munch on, and comes home for lunch everyday to make me something, and supply me with afternoon snacks. Sometimes I even keep a cooler by the bed for things that need to be kept cold. It's just what we have to do right now, and we'll get used to it, I'm sure. (Even though I feel bad that he has to take on so many new responsibilities, my selfish and lonely self really loves him being home so often.) He has also been great to prepare dinners. Since it's the weekend, I feel like we can really prepare with grocery lists and meal ideas, and get things under control since it seems like we've been scrambling a little as we get into this bedrest mode. I'm sure we'll get the hang of it.

So that all started on Wednesday, and since then quite a lot has taken place. I have been on the phone with several different people, mostly people from the company that supplies the equipment, Alere, trying to get this pump/monitor stuff worked out. My nurse Elise, who is awesome, has also been on the phone with all of the same people for the past couple days. Everything was supposed to arrive along with a nurse by Thursday at the latest, but leave it to insurance to make things complicated. Apparently, they will only cover the treatment for about a month, and then we'd have to start paying out of pocket, which will be like $250/day. Yikes! Like I said, we want AT LEAST another 10 weeks of this pregnancy, and we need that money for the babies, so we didn't like this. The company that supplies the gear we need has filed for an appeal to lengthen the coverage and expect to have the results by Monday at the latest. But they didn't seem too optimistic. Elise started talking to their area rep. who didn't like that they were making us make these hard decisions. She advised us to start the therapy, while we wait for the appeal. If it doesn't go through, we might just have to stay in the hospital for the duration of the pregnancy, since they can't deny me hospital stay coverage. Not my idea of fun, but it's all for the babies, so what else can I say? We decided on that plan. In the meantime I have been taking oral Trebutaline. I don't like it at all. It makes m heart race, and my body shake and tremble. I could hardly type, my hands were shaking so bad. But it was slowing the contractions, so that is what matters.

Anyway, yesterday we finally got the okay to start. We got a big delivery of equipment and meds (We thought we were done with this kind of stuff- Ha!), and the nurse arrived at about 4:30. KC came home early so he could see what was going down. The nurse went over everything, including tons of paperwork, and signatures. She taught me how to insert the tube for the pump, since I'll have to change it every 4-5 days. It's a little needle that I inject into my abdomen or thigh. The needle comes out and the little tube holder stays in. The tube that I had primped with the medication that is in the little computer is attached. It is programed to give me medication as I need it, and if I need to, I can make it give me more. I also have to replace the medicine cartridge when it runs out. I'm used to needles in my abdomen, so this was no biggie. Just a little annoying to have tube and small computer hooked up to me for the next 2-3 months. I guess this is what diabetics feel like. (They really drill it into you that this computer is something like $5,000, so I better take really good care of it. There is even a special shower bag for it.) They say the pump has way fewer side effects than the oral medication. I am still shaking, but I am hoping that will go away soon. They said my body will get used to it.

So now, the monitor. It is just like the ones they put on you when they track your contractions at the hospital. I have to do it twice a day, for one hour each time. It is also hooked up to a small computer. There is a button on it for me to push whenever I think I feel a contraction. When the hour is up, we hook the small computer into a bigger contraption that wirelessly sends the data to my Alere nurse, who will call me with the results and tell me whether or not I was right with my contractions. KC usually takes care of all the computer stuff and transferring the data. When I monitored it yesterday, I thought I might've had about 3, and when we talked to them they said that I had possibly only one, and it was hardly relevant. This is great since before the meds, I was counting 6-7/hour. They are okay with 4-6 at the most, but would like there to be none, if possible. If they see a problem in my data, like tons of contractions, they'll either tell me to up the meds, empty my bladder, drink some water, and try again soon, or go to the hospital. Let's hope they stay low. I also take my blood pressure every day after the monitor, and report that to the nurse as well. We did it again this morning, and I had no contractions. I'm liking those results. I can also do an unscheduled monitoring if I feel like things are going awry.

On Tuesday at my appointment, they will have received all the data at my regular doctors office, and see what measure need to be taken. If it looks like it's doing it's job, they will have me continue as I have been doing it. Modern medicine has really helped us out with these babies, hasn't it? We are so grateful for it. We have faith that this will all work out.

Like I said, we knew this could happen one of these day. Needless to say, the pool is now out of the question. Bummer, but a lot of the aches and pains that led me there in the first place were probably due to my contractions. Who knew? Anyway, that was a lot of information, and mostly a brain dump from the last three days. Today, for one of my bedrest activities, I will enjoy The Three Amigos, my latest Netflix rental, and I can't wait. Hey, I gotta get excited about something, right? Oh, and it's nice to finally have KC here all day. I think he likes to play doctor. He's pretty good at it. Maybe I'll show you some pictures of all this stuff soon. Right now, I need to rest.

11 comments:

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Good luck! I hope the pump keeps everything under control and that you get feeling better! I can't wait to see your precious little ones!

Michelle and Cisco said...

So since me and Cisco have to move out of our apartment anyway we were thinking we should just move to Maryland so i can take care of you while you are on bed rest. Forget school, who needs it? We are praying for you everyday and your sweet babies. I hope you don't get too bored sitting in bed all day! And I will try to invent a way for you to get to the pool. maybe buy a water bed but cut it open so its just a pool? That would count as bed rest... anyways we love you!

Melissa said...

Wow, sounds like you are in for some relaxation time. I will say the one thing you have going for you is you don't have any other kids running around that you can't take care of. I had bedrest on my last pregnancy and a lot of guilt with it because I had to let everyone else take care of my little girl. That being said, bedrest still sucks badly especially if there are things to worry about. It gives you too much time on your hands. So if you start worrying, you need to have diversions. I used to talk on the phone a lot to people. I will pray for you guys that you can keep your babies in gestation mode for 10 more weeks.

Sarah said...

Woah - I work labor and delivery and have never heard of this thing... we will have to talk. I am very curious. I hope the bedrest goes okay!

Kristy said...

ugh, sorry about the best rest and the trebutaline. That stuff is NOT fun. I had my parents pick me up from the hospital on that and they thought I could drive. haha, what do you think?

I wish I were there to help with the meals!

Cami said...

Oh dear. It sounds like so much work, and a lot of sitting. It may actually be nice for a change to be in the hospital where other people can do all those things for you. It is going to feel like forever, but soon they'll be here and all will be forgotten. I'm glad I'll be there to keep you company for some of it!

Unknown said...

yikes! take care of yourself and keep those babies in there! and i hope you enjoy the three amigos. that's one of andy's favorites! "we're not mexicans. we're from out of town."

Natalie and Ryan said...

KC is such a great guy. I really liked being friends with him in Provo. I know he will take good care of you. YEAH for great husbands. Tell him hi for me. I wish I could meet you again. Good luck with the bedrest. I know and can imagine that must be hard. You are doing great.
Natalie

Merinda Reeder said...

Hello? Relief Society? Where are those girls when you need them? Seriously.
No wonder you and KC weren't at the ward picnic this morning.
Let's talk tomorrow about how we can be useful. I think we can come up with something so KC can spend some time at work.

Corinne said...

Holy cow friend, that is A LOT of things to think about. You'll love having this record later, to show those babies and tell them how hard you worked to keep them cooking :)

Unknown said...

you just hang in there! I wish I lived close and we would come visit to keep you some company! I had to be on that stupid pill too I avoided it as much as possible i hated it! but you keep those three amigos in there! If you get bored and want to talk call I could use someone to talk to everyonce in awhile especially this week jeremy is out of town all week.. well for ten days yikes!