Saturday, March 13, 2010

Leave it to daddy.

I'm up in the middle of the night feeding and pumping. I don't really mind when I only have to get up once, which is the norm now. Much better than the recent past when I might have had to get up anywhere from 2-5 times per night. Anyway, I just had an instance I wanted to share.

Ruby has been especially chatty this feeding session. Usually in the night, she, or the others, will sleep through an entire feeding, but tonight that was not the case with her. And the warm milk didn't seem to quiet her much. She wasn't fussy, just wanted to play. KC was feeding her so of course he obliged. He's like putty in her hand (and lets face it, we all are). But with sleep training being at the top of my priority list these days, I asked him not to encourage her. No talking back in baby talk, no smiling back at her, no laughing at the ridiculously cute little words she says. She shouldn't be up in the night anyway, so I told him this was not play time and if she didn't want to eat she gets to go back to bed. So KC looked at Ruby, tried to wipe the big grin he had off his face, and in a clearly faked stern voice he said, "Yes, it's not play time." and there were probably secret chuckles and winks exchanged between them. Leave it to mommy to be the mean rule enforcer, and daddy to be the fun, break-the-rules guy. I'm in for it with that team. I better get used to it.

4 comments:

melody said...

Oh, KC! Daddy's are naturally so playful. And knowing him in particular, this story doesn't surprise me at all.

Karlene said...

Ron did this when Whitney was about 2. She would wake up in the night and want to watch Barney. And Ron would just watch it with her! I had to put the kibosh to that. So ya, dads like to break the rules! haha

Sarah said...

The roles are the same in our house. Ha. Dads are always so fun!

Amber said...

That is so cute! I love to hear these stories of you two.