Wednesday, March 03, 2010

You have to be a Nazi.

I’d like to elaborate more on nap training. Man, if this doesn’t kill me, nothing will. I don’t think any part of being a new mom to triplets has overwhelmed me as much as this. Probably because now it’s my responsibility to do something about it, rather than blame their behavior on their newborn status. Now that I’m in charge, I suddenly feel all helpless. The books to help  a little, but they still don’t know my babies, and what I can take. I knew the babies were changing, and I knew our routine had to also

Lately we have been in what I’d consider an age appropriate system. It worked alright, and semi-comfortably for me, knowing that this was just a stage and things would change soon. It probably just felt okay since it was better than before. They go to bed without crying, and that was quite an accomplishment to me. So I held off a little bit doing anything else so I could revel in a little success until I had to go to work again.

Enter nap training. Before today I felt completely incompetent for this job. It’s not as easy as nighttime to me, since they have to eat soon, and would surely cry until that time. I read, re-read, and re-read the chapters in the books on naps, and just felt overwhelmed with information, yet felt like nothing was answered. I’d start each day full of resolve and a new idea, feeling like what we tried the day before clearly didn’t work. And by about 9 am my nerves were always shot, and I felt like a failure all over again.  I know there are multiples groups out there, and blog after blog featuring triplets. But I don’t love support groups, and it just seemed like something else I don’t have time for. I remembered my sister Amber mentioning a friend that had triplets and had them trained to sleep through the night by 8 weeks. She said she would be happy to talk to me anytime. But she only intimidated me, and made me quite jealous to tell you the truth, so I put that on the back burner.

Well, it was moved to the front today when I got to a point where I just couldn’t take the high maintenance babies who need constant rocking/patting/holding, or the uncertainty of what I supposed to do any longer. So I called Amber, who gave me a number. But before I even had a chance to think about calling her, I got a call from Holly herself. What a wonder woman. She made me feel so empowered, and  gave me strict instructions on what to do, guaranteeing that in a few weeks I’ll have a different life. This is more my way 0f learning that reading books. Word of mouth instructions have always been more appealing to me that reading it on a piece of paper. I’ll have to post the schedule we are sticking to sometime. Maybe as soon as it’s up and running for sure. But Holly told me I have to be a Nazi and to not let anybody or anything get in my way.  And that I will do. Yes, the babies have been screaming as I write this, and it’s breaking my heart, but I know I am doing what is right in the long run. Here is a picture of their cute but sad splotchy faces after a long bout of crying, the poor dears. 032036034035

I wish I could just always  know what to do. It’s hard to admit that you don’t know what you are doing. Something which I’ve had to do many times since becoming not only a first time parent, but one of triplets. Humility is being learned for sure. I know my great love for these babies will only grow as they learn to sleep and give me a break from the daily grind we’ve been living. It’s just time for some serious changes around here. I’ll probably be listening to my ipod, or vacuuming a lot more in the days to come, but hopefully soon the home will be silent for several hour everyday during which I can get back into some of my hobbies on hiatus. On enjoy a long shower, nap, or movie without interruptions. I’m going to stick to this plan and hope to report success in the near future.

So, since there isn’t too much time for lots of playing while we’re nap-training-minded, here are some recent picks to hold you over. 

And btw, KC’s sister Camille came to visit last weekend. We were all sad to see her go.

005  017 025 011 062 056 006

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hang in there Im sure it will get better! and they are getting so big!!! and I love that bottom picture of KC holding one of the boys!(dont ask me which one I cant tell them apart lol) but they both have their heads kinked the same way.. like father like son. so cute! they are all so so so cute though!

Marianne said...

Wow... they are not tiny anymore. At least not in pictures. I can't believe how much they've changed since I last saw them! I am dreading this aspect of parenting. I remember how much I hated it when I would babysit and the kid would scream for hours. Ugh. I feel your pain. Only I got to go home at the end of the night and I got paid :)

keegan said...

Em, they are getting so big. And hang in there, none of us mom's really know what we are doing, I mean come on, I still feel like a kid myself. That is why they call it an adventure I guess! (this is so not keegan, it is Lindsey).

Chad and Bree Fowles said...

I feel your anxiety Em! I am glad you talked with someone who knows all about triplets. I agree that if you just "Hitler" it out you will be thankful in the end...they will forgive you I promise! oh and I love the pics they are so chubby and sweet

melody said...

They really do look gigantic. And I love the naughty-no-nappers pictures. I am so glad you were encouraged after the phone conversation with Amber's friend. I second what she says about having a new life after they are napping well. Seriously, it is that amazing. And you WILL get there, all of you. Lucky for them they are so cute.

Cami said...

I'm so glad you talked to someone who knows what they are doing! It always is better to actually talk (rather than type) to someone who has been through it. Now that you know someone who's done it, you can stick to your guns! They are GOING to learn!! I'm excited for you, and anxious for these next few weeks. Get some good books on your ipod and whatnot, and all will be well. Good luck!!

Woods said...

It might be hard to be a nazi at times but that is way to go if you want it done soon! I remember turning the bathroom fan on every night to make noise so that I wouldn't hear Garrett crying at night. The dr. told me if he really needed me he'd let me know. It was hard and awful and I found myself crying sometimes but I stuck to it and it worked. He is an amazing sleeper to this day. I know it's way different with 3 babies but I remember feeling like I had conquered the world when the sleep situation was accomplished. Naps are hard and when there's 3 babies the cries are a lot louder. It might be a good time to take a long shower and blow dry your hair. Hopefully that will help hide the noise. Hang in there. You are doing everything right. There could never be a better mom! I love you.

Sarah said...

They are so cute!