Thursday, March 04, 2010

A whole new world.

At least that's what if feels like when you have a real nap schedule. Can I just tell you what a difference a day makes. Yesterday, I felt the world was collapsing all around me. I couldn't think straight. I didn't know what was going to become of me. (That may sound dramatic, but three screaming babies can really do that to you.) They just cried every time we put them in their cribs to nap, and just cried for the whole two hours straight until it was time to eat and play again. It would just start over every time. UNTIL that magical moment at about 6:45 pm when all was quiet in the room down the hall. Could they really be. . .could they possibly be. . .sleeping??!! Yes, they were, those angel babies of mine. And they continued to sleep, with the exception of a few feedings until 6:30 am. They’d just go right back to sleep after feeding. Sometimes they wouldn’t even wake up, but would dream feed (if one wakes up to feed, they all get fed). We’re going to work on dropping a night feeding after naps are all squared away. I woke up rested! What a feeling!

I was a little nervous what today would bring with putting them back to sleep for their first nap in the morning and the day light. I thought for sure things would be crazy again and had my head phones ready. They got tired pretty quickly after some books and rattle time, so swaddles went on, and into their cribs they went. First there was a lot of screaming from Alex, a couple outbursts from Ruby, and I don’t think Bennett made a peep (must’ve caught him just at the right time). The crying went on for about 10 minutes from Alex, then I just heard him talking in there. Huh? He’d never done that before. I knew then today would be different. And you know what? Ten minutes later. . .silence. A real honest to goodness nap in which my babies all fell asleep without any rocking whatsoever! I'm not sure how long it will last, but their staying in there for two hours regardless, and some of that time was quiet! I can’t stop smiling. I don’t know what to do with myself. I know there will be some hiccups here and there, but today is a day to remember. The options are endless for me. Especially with Britney here. I can go grocery shopping, work out, pump, make dinner, go on a date with my husband, take a long shower, take a NAP! All without calling in extra reinforcement, or interruptions. Thank you, THANK YOU, everyone for you encouragement. You are right. It is amazing and so worth it.

And what’s funny is I really really miss my babies. I had to watch videos of them yesterday, I missed them so bad. But I know this will only make them more fun to be around and play with. When I have it all ironed out, I’ll post my schedule so you can see what the new and improved day in the life of the Robinson Triplets is like.

They couldn’t have given daddy and me better anniversary present.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOORAY! Congrats!

Melissa said...

I'm not wanting to rain on your parade but just don't get down if it gets really bad again tomorrow. My kids would "trick" me and we'd think we were all done. Just stay the course and there are wonderful rewards. I'm saying to myself too because Christian must start his sleep training tonight. We are the opposite. Naps are fine but night is ridiculously wakeful.

Woods said...

I'm so glad. Doesn't it feel good to have some time to yourself? Such fun and exciting news!

Kassi said...

I am so happy for you. Happy Anniversary too!

Chad and Bree Fowles said...

Finally Some peace for you! They are smart kids. I bet Bennets chatter in his room was probably him saying "well this isn't working anymore" Hurray for you guys! way to stick to your guns. You'll have to do it alot so why not start now!

Cami said...

Isn't it funny how you can barely stand the sight of them when they won't go to sleep, but when they do you miss them? I'm SO glad you are having some success! You really needed it. All will be well! And now you are a nap nazi like me and Melody. But I don't think anyone will make fun of you . . .

Sarah said...

Oh! Happy Anniversary! And WaaaaHooo! Go babies. Don't worry about the hiccups - teething happens, sickness happens, but really, it will all be good. Congrats congrats. Good luck with the rest of the sleep training.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Emily! What a huge accomplishment! You did what you had to, because it is what was best for your babies. Even though it was really hard. And that sign of a REALLY great Mom. You put priority over what is right over what is hard. You can do it!

Kelly Gish