Monday, March 15, 2010

My six month old babies.

I cannot believe how quickly time flies. As of Saturday my babies are six months old. They are growing so rapidly, it’s hard to believe they used to be so tiny. As I look through pictures and sift through clothes they used to wear, I really, really can’t believe how small they were. It makes me so amazingly happy seeing how far they’ve come and how healthy they are. SO Amazingly Happy. I think about this time last year a lot. I was pregnant but I didn’t know it yet.  I was wondering (agonizing over) which way my life would turn, until I found out our results a few days later. Well, we all know what happened, and it seriously still feels like a dream. We have come a long way to get to this point with infertility, a highly stressful pregnancy, three tiny preemies to worry about, and the shock of have three babies come home with us. Now that I’m getting more sleep, and the babies become more self-entertained, I feel like this is the icing on the cake we’re been drooling over so so long. I can’t wait to snuggle them after a nap (an how I LOVE those naps), or give them a bath and watch them splash like crazy. The hard times are much fewer and further between, and I am really living my dream. A lot of times during the day, I feel like I’m looking on someone else’s life. It feels so surreal.I can’t believe we’re here. I love being a mom, and I can’t wait to see what they’ll do next.

Of course I have to say a few things about these little sweethearts of mine. We’ll do this individually, as they are all so different. I also want to show you some pictures of our adventures with our first solid food, Rice Cereal.

The things I love about Alex at six months:         081

  • He talks A LOT. I love when he makes his sounds as he furrows his brow and looks straight into my eyes. I wish I knew exactly what he is telling me.
  • He loves to eat. He always has. He was the first to learn to nurse, and would always finish the leftovers of his brother and sister’s bottles. And it shows.
  • He kicks his chubby  little legs wildly on any surface, and loves the doorway bouncer.
  • He likes his rice cereal, surprise surprise, and spoon feeds pretty well.
  • He is a VERY cuddly boy. So warm and soft.
  • He grins from ear to ear and giggles all day long! I’ll never get tired of that.
  • He has a very high pitched squeal that is emerging. Cute, but a little too screechy to do all the time.
  • He looks so grown up these days, and as happy as it makes me to see him grow and change, it is very sad to see my little boy grow up so fast.
090

 

The things I love about Bennett at six months:051

  • He is definitely the quietest of the three. Almost like he knows something we all don’t. Definitely a sign of intelligence. He does have a lot to say, but it comes out when the moment is right. I think it’s his way of standing out, as we all stop whatever we’re doing when he chimes in. Smart kid.
  • He didn’t quite like the rice cereal yet. He wears more than he eats, but he’ll get there.
  • He loves to kick his legs and play with toys.
  • He sucks his thumb and I can’t get over how cute it is. We find his arm out of his swaddle a lot when we wakes up, probably so he could find his thumb. So adorable.
  • He was the smallest when they were born, so I’ll always have a special feeling toward him for that. He’s a strong boy, and I’ll do everything I can to avoid middle child syndrome.
  • He is a very handsome fellow, and has longer hair than his siblings.
  • He has the most charming smile that can melt anyone’s heart. Often we find him smiling at us even if we’re all the way across the room, or talking to another baby. So easy to please.
091

 

The things I love about Ruby at six months:107

  • Well, she’s my girl, and that is something special right there.
  • She has the cutest raspy voice that I love. She talks so much and it’s so precious.
  • She’s pretty hyper. When she gets her legs going, and starts chatting away, she could go on and on for quite some time.
  • She is pretty bald, but easily makes up for that with her darling personality
  • She’s our funny eater. She’ll take a bottle or leave it. She’d usually rather look at her surroundings that finish a bottle. She’s our little petite girl, weighing the least of the three by a pound or more. Watching that girlish figure, I suppose.
  • Cereal was a half-success with her. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. I wonder what this means for her eating habits in the future.
  • She has her mom’s pail complexion, which probably means freckles. I never liked mine as a child, but can’t wait to see them on her.
  • I love her little Peter Pan legs and feet. Whenever she gets lifted in the air, her legs get really straight, and her feet go right out to the side. Like she’s flying with Peter himself. Maybe we should call her Wendy as a nickname.  
  • Her little hilarious laugh always gets our attention. It’s so different from the others. Her smiles are always abundant.
  • Here eyes are so beautiful, and eye lashes are getting so long. Such a pretty girl.

088

I need to stop now before I go on and on. I could write all day. These babies amaze me everyday. We have our moments of craziness and impatience, or course, but they are far outweighed by the moments of pure bliss that come with three happy, healthy, smart, funny, adorable babies. But I know we are in for quite a wild ride for the years to come. I better buckle up.

 

Btw,  I also did a little celebrating of my own for this six month accomplishment by doing this.045

Notice any difference? Perhaps a six+ inch difference? I know, you are all saying that you told me so. I never intended to cut my hair when I had kids, but I also never thought I’d lose so much of it after the babies were born. I guess I’d rather have it all grow back in together that have a mullet type situation as the top is full of new growth, and the length is all long and thin. And I have to say it’s really nice to cut my blow dry/curl time in half. And even if I do it in a bun (which I expect to do almost every day), it’s a much lighter and easier to put up.  By the time it grows back, I’ll be ready for long hair again. I know it’s still longish (actually kind of an awkward length-I’m debating cutting off a couple more inches), but I still really miss it. It’s been my friend for a long time, and through a lot of big changes in my life with me. And I think I’m just a long hair kind of girl.  But the change is nice at this point in time.

Happy six months my loves! Let’s hope the next six months are full of lots of laughing and lots of sleeping.  Love you.

11 comments:

Marianne said...

I feel lucky to be the first "poster". I took the day off of school! As I went back and re-read the previous post where you found out you here having triplets, I couldn't help but be touched(I don't cry very often). It was surreal to me too! I was touched most especially by the 69 comments that were left. You and your family are loved by so many people! There are many of us who felt a small portion of your pain when things were most difficult, but who also felt complete joy when the news was good. I for one and grateful for the phone call I received last May with good news.
So in a way, and I'm sure most of us followers can say the same, we feel as though we've been right there with you, and continue to be, as your babies grow up and we fall more and more in love with their darling faces and personalities. Your wonderful writing helps that too:)

The biggest congratulations I can give goes to you. I can't believe all you've been through in your 25 years, but how wonderful it all is!

The Gowdy Family said...

Happy 6 months to your adorable babies! I love following your blog and reading the updates.

One thing I thought of as I read this post is one of my favorite baby things I had with Cade. You may already know about these, but they have these 'baby food bottles' you can buy--I think I got mine at Walgreens. I loved them because they were portable, and if I needed to feed him baby food on the go it was so nice. It's also nice because they can eat it so much faster and with so much less mess. I know it's important for their development to learn to spoon feed, so you definitely wouldn't want to use them all the time, but they're definitely nice to have on hand! I used mine later for that creamy yoplait yogurt after he turned one, and for baby cereal and baby food before that. Anyway...just thought I'd pass along the info!

Lili and Jeff said...

Thanks for the updates, I can't believe how far your babies have come in just these few short months!! Which probably seem like a long time since those babies were newborn babies for so long. They are just insanely cute. I hope you spoil that little Ruby rotten.

Also, I LOVE your haircut! It is a hard adjustment to lose 6 inches (when I cut my hair off, half the salon came to see me go through with it) but it is definitely for the better. It is easier to manage, and growing it out gives you something to work towards! Plus you get so much extra volume just from not having so much weight! Good for you, I love it!

Jeffy said...

They are so cute! It's going to take forever to feed those babes! I like your hair. Still too long for me post-baby, but a nice big step for you!

Sarah said...

Wow! Time sure does fly. They are, of course, adorable. I love how when Bennet and Ruby were getting food Alex was checking it out, waiting for his turn!
LOOOVE the hair - looks so fresh!

I love your thoughts on motherhood, I wish I could express my thoughts as eloquently as you do. I'll just say ditto!

melody said...

Yes, these updates are fun to read and see the differences between the three. These videos are great! I am pretty impressed with how they did on their very first feeding. (Oh, and let me know how you like that bottle feeder thing Jessica mentioned, if you get one. I meant to try that out after I saw a neighbor with one but kept forgetting! Looks cool.)

Cute haircut! Don't worry, it is still long and beautiful. (I wish I could curl mine like that.)

Crazy. It's really been six months. And that makes Gabe exactly ten months today. And Julia is potty training. This is TOO MUCH for me today.

Savannah said...

Not awkward at all! you look wonderful!! i kind of can't believe you're babies are this old already! Crazy! (ps thanx for the sweet post BTW, it kind of made my day) :0)

Susan said...

What a great post! Congrats for getting to this exciting milestone! oh, and I love the hair.

Unknown said...

ok they are so so cute! and i love that they are all so different! so fun to watch grow up! and I cant believe it has been six months wow!

Unknown said...

You are so beautiful, and with so many great things to say Em!! I always look forward to your posts on this motherhood adventure.

The babies are darling, I also can't believe it's already been 6 months! I am so happy for the new sleeping habits...it's amazing what a little sleep can do for a mothers sanity!! strict nap times and a 7 PM bed time is what's kept me sane and loving my kids :)

Can't wait to see what the next 6 months brings for your cute family!

Amber said...

Brady Odell got up to eat and I couln't get back to sleep so I thought I look at blogs or something! I love those big fat babies! I'm so glad they are sleeping better-what a huge difference that makes in your life. Get back here so we can kiss their faces off!