Monday, April 23, 2007

Adventures with Pie Dough

Who doesn't love a good pie crust? It is something so many people are in search of. I find that the perfect pie crust is really an achievement. At the hotel where I worked, it seemed that every recipe there had been tested to perfection. This pie crust is one of those. It's pretty basic, like most recipes you see, but I have recently realized of my love for this almost effortless pastry. It is one of my favorites tools of the kitchen. I call it a tool because it is really a component of what you are going to make with it. It can be savory or sweet, you can shape it, or go rustic, and it can be elegant or very simple. I love versatility in the kitchen. It's what makes food so interesting. You use the same ingredients to make dozens of different dishes. Last week I made a batch of this dough for a chicken pot pie (one of the best comfort foods that exists, in my opinion) I made for a new mom in the ward. I made so much of the of the filling that we ended up having enough to make a couple more for us. I was going to freeze one for later, but was too tempted to just use them both in the same week. Don't worry, we had them a few days apart. And anyway, it gave me a couple more chanced to play. I while ago I made the artichoke tartlets you see, for a party or something and had some left over to freeze. I pulled them right from the freezer straight to the oven and it was like I had made them that very day. Another great feature of pie crust. It freezes like a charm. So after all the pies were made, I had a little dough left and wanted to use it up. I wanted something sweet so I made them into a cookie of some sort. I feel like the possibilities are endless with pie dough. And summer is here, so it finally seems, and pies are very popular in the summer. I can't wait to try something new for this glorious season.

5 comments:

erika said...

em! you are such a talent! i can't believe my eyes when i look at the pictures of how your food comes out of the oven--it is art! have you ever made anything that doesn't turn out? (besides, of course, the cake from the 1st ever and most important cook off!)

Cami said...

Geesh! That all looks fabulouso. Wanna bring that over? I'll trade you for some chocolate fountain . . .

Emily said...

Eh hem...At least I made it from scratch! We wouldn't dare use a mix in the professional world (are we really starting this again?) And would I blog about something that didn't turn out? That would be silly. I will one of these days.

Emily said...

The above comment was for Er.

Matt said...

The crust on those last cookie things was awe-hawsome. It's the kind of crust that you taste and think "Woa, this is some crust" while most of the time if the crust is just so so, you try to avoid thinking about it, and focus on the insides of the crust.