Monday, April 02, 2007

Conference Cinnamon Rolls

For some reason, cinnamon rolls on conference weekend have become a tradition for us. I think it started the year my friend Sarah was with us for conference and she wanted to make them. Maybe it's her tradition and I'm copying her. Anyhow, I made them for a girls gathering during priesthood session that never happened due to people's sick kids and such. So we were stuck with the whole pan for breakfast, which made KC smile. I've been using a new recipe courtesy Alton Brown from the Food Network. It really is a good recipe. They always come out great. I've tried different ones throughout the years, but I've stuck with this one for a while. Usually with recipes I find online, I add or change a few ingredients, or I change the amounts of them. I don't need to do so with these. Last night we realized that we better not eat them all alone, so we took them to our friends the Drapers and shared. They were very appreciative.

Whenever I make a yeast bread, I get so excited about the chemical reaction that takes place when the bread rises. I love kneading a freshly risen, warm, soft, tender dough. I would do it all day if it wouldn't keep developing the gluten resulting in a tough dough. If you look closely at the unbaked cinnamon rolls you can see all the gas bubbles that have formed. I know we're all seen it before, but it never ceases to amaze me. In school we made some pretty intense rustic breads. It was probably my favorite part. The smell was incredible. I would've been a bread baker in a shop if it didn't require overnight baking. We owe a lot to the people who are up all night to give us fresh bread in the morning. If you try these, I'd like to hear how much you like them. I know you will. By the way, I've tried both rising overnight like the recipe says, and rising for just a few hours. Overnight it better, but if you haven't thought ahead, it is fine to do it all in one day. You'll just sacrifice a little of the tenderness and flavor. We won't be waiting 6 months for the next conference to make these again.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Emily your cinnamon rolls were the best! It was a wonderful surprise and treat for you to share them with us last night. Finger-lickin'-good!

Sarah said...

I am glad to see that you have carried on a Bliss Family tradition. Mine didn't turn out the best because I was trying to save time and have them rise in the fridge, didn't work very well so they weren't as fluffy and yummy.
Funny, I feel the same way about bread. I love the feel of the dough, I love to knead it by hand, I love the smell, and the amazing power of yeast!

Cami said...

sweet. I am going to try them for sure. I hope you don't cry if I put chocolate chips in them. :)

Emily said...

I will!

Janice Graham said...

I'm going to try Alton's recipe. They look perfect.

Matt said...

Emily-
We made these on Easter and they were soooo good! Thanks for the great recipe.