Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Kicked Up Mac

I told myself a few years ago that I would never again purchase Macaroni and Cheese from the grocery store. I seemed to grow out of it as I attained more of an adult pallet, and try to stay away from the high calorie, quick fix meals. And I have a great recipe for homemade mac and cheese that I'm pretty loyal to. But I was shopping the other day and I passed it wondering when and if I would ever find a reason to buy it. It was on sale and I thought, what the heck, I'll splurge. It stayed in the cupboard for a while. Today I hadn't even thought about what to make for dinner until KC was about to walk in the door. I usually have dinner on the table by this point. I looked in the fridge and the cupboard evaluating my options and there it was. The blue box what practically jumping out at me. Of course, I wasn't going to make it how the instructions told me to. I gathered some ingredients and came up with this: Five cheese, tofu, turkey kielbasa, and pea Mac and Cheese. Say gross if you want (I kind of did at first) but combined with the boxed mac, it mad for an okay meal. Of course, we'll probably never have it again, but it was fun for a night. Our whole wheat avocado toasts made it a little bit more of a well rounded meal. I am lucky to have a man who can put up with all my experimentation. And it's fun to revert to those childhood flavors every now and then.

6 comments:

Cami said...

Nice job. Jake would be absolutely appalled. Also, I love the daily food photo section!

Emily said...

Thank you. It's kind of like all the books you people are reading. It's the food I'm making. Sometimes simple, sometimes more elaborate.

Matt said...

That looks like one of the most delicious items I've ever seen.

melody said...

Is Alton Brown's mac and cheese still your favorite? That's the one I make, but if you have another that you like better, pass it on!

Emily said...

Yes, Alton is responsible for my favorite mac and cheese. He's pretty good at what he does, wouldn't you say?

Hannah said...

Sounds like an interesting combo of foods. I am not sure if my pregnant stomach could take it, but I'll trust you when you say it is good. I love seeing all the foods you cook!!