Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fender Bender

Well yesterday I got in a little accident. I was completely not at fault, and no one was hurt, thank goodness. It was in the parking lot of the Bank of America where I had just been at the drive up ATM. I had quickly parked to get situated with all the papers I had in my hands. When I backed out to leave, I was stopped to pull out of the parking lot, and all of the sudden a maroon VW Jetta was backing out toward my car. I have him three loud honks before he hit. I thought to pull forward, but my instincts told me that would cause more damage than good. Then, like slow motion, he backed into my right rear door. He was a nice and very shaky Indian man. He was confused, it seemed, and I held my ground to make sure all facts were straight. He knew he was at fault but he claimed he didn't hear me honk. Pa-lease. Everyone heard it but him I guess. We were nice to each other the whole time kind of laughing about it. At least I was. He was so nervous saying over and over that this has never happened to him before. He gladly offered his info and we were on our way. I called Geico immediately. The door now does not open from the outside. It does open from the inside, so I was playing around with it and accidentally set the child lock. So that door is a goner. Won't open from the inside or out. The car just has a small dent and some scratches, but enough damage to be talking to Geico for a while yesterday, and making a recorded statement with them today about what happened. They believe from the stories that I am not a fault and they'll cover the damages. I'm about to go to a consultation for the damages. I'm not really frazzled about this since we are car shopping at the moment anyway. This car of mine won't pass emissions unless we replace the very expensive catalytic converter. It also has plenty of other scratches and dents from the previous owner and another sideswipe that was not my fault. So I think I'll ask for a check instead of getting the door fixed. It's not worth any one's time to make improvement on my trusty old Taurus. I'm just so glad that no one got hurt. If it's possible to have a best case scenario in a car accident this was it. Minimal damage, no injuries, and new car soon anyway. I'm definitely giving Heavenly Father the credit for this blessing as he is responsible for all the blessings I see in my life multiple times a day. Funny how things that could seem like inconveniences can turn into blessings. Now if I could just learn that concept with trials that Geico can't fix for me.

9 comments:

melody said...

Yes, it is very good to know you are safe. Similar thing happened with the kia, remember?

Cami said...

Nice. Now you get some money out of it! Too bad he didn't total it (with you not in the car of course).

Emily said...

And the total is...$956.00! Just got back from the Geico people who made the estimate. Better than nothing!

Matt said...

I'm super glad you're not hurt, but that's the best thing I've heard all day. It's a lot better than nothing! I always wish for my car to get hit by someone when I know I'm getting rid of it soon.

mylittlegems said...

I feel for you! At least you are safe and it was a very small accident. It was a total loss for me on our perfectly good car. I still have pain from it.

Sarah said...

I hate car accidents. But good thing it wasn't anything tragic.
PS your picture isn't working

Amber said...

The poor Kia-how many times was that car wrecked. Glad you are getting something out of it!

Unknown said...

Yep, that Taurus has done it's duty and then some. Good that the guy didn't try to make it your fault. And it should not cause your insurance premium to go up, as it was not your fault. Check with them to make sure it doesn't. You handled it just right.

Lili and Jeff said...

Man, atleast you were nice about it. I remember the first thing I did when someone crashed into me was yell obscenities. Not bad ones, just loud ones. But afterwards, I put myself into that situation, and we were nice to her. BUT COMMON! That is just ridiculous. How could he not hear you honk!