Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"Oh, for gosh sakes Napoleon just make yourself a dang quesadilla!"

I'm blogging about this delightful Mexican dinner not only because it was so huge and pretty good, but it gave me a chance to mention a little gold mine I found when I was living with roommates in Silver Spring. It's a tiny family owned grocery store name Snider's Super Foods. It was where I did all of my grocery shopping when I lived there. It has great prices, almost unheard of for some of the food they were selling. Granted, some of the food was getting close to the sell by date and was on a huge sale because of the small nature of the store but most is great quality. The produce in particular have great deals all the time. When you walk in and look to the right there are always interesting foods on sale. Always a variety of cheeses to chooses from ( I've found plain Havarti, Brie, Goat Cheese, Parmesan, Boursin, blue cheese, and the basic Cheddars all for great prices), and also fruits, breads, and anything they wanted to sell quick I guess. They also have a really great deli which is not such a bargain because it is so good. I bought it anyway. A hospital where I fill in sometimes is near my old stomping grounds so I take that opportunity to go to my little market. I'm always excited to see what interesting things they have on sale. I like to grocery shop by inspiration. I see something I think is cool and make a meal out of it. Sometimes I make a list, but I'd prefer to do it like this. You can't really make a list at Snider's. It's always a surprise. Like and indoor farmers market. SO, the point. I found these huge tortillas on sale there and had to buy them. I just thought they were great, and the moment I saw them I immediately started making plans for what to do with them. This quesadilla was the size of a pizza. Now, what to do next. I think a ginormous burrito is in order. We might have to invite people over to finish one.

8 comments:

Cami said...

That is a serious quesadilla! I want one.

Matt said...

Sniders sounds like Jobbers Odd Lot, only yummier. I'd shop there just because they have the word "super" in their name.

Excellent looking meal.

Sarah said...

You'll have to take a picture of the burrito. On Ariel's mission there was a restaurant that served gi-normous burritos; they were called "El Coloso." (colossal) So them that okay? ok.

Lili and Jeff said...

Man, you put me to shame, Emily. I don't think KC knew what a luxury he had marrying you. I bet he was just excited that he had you, but then along came such elaborate dinners. You take such mediocre meals and turn them into... something a lot better. You should start a resteraunt and call it Mimi's Caf- Oh wait...

Lili and Jeff said...

Meet the Robinsons... clever... I saw that show. SO VERY FUNNY.

melody said...

We would have made some mean cheesies with those babies back in the day.

mylittlegems said...

I am just going to call you the "food queen". Everything you make looks yummy and you sure have a great way of doing it.

Emily said...

Sharla, I haven't been able to see your blog since I am not invited. I miss seeing little Landon. Can I have an invitation? I don't have your email address.