Thursday, April 12, 2007

White House Easter Egg Roll

It's high time I wrote about my experience with the Easter Egg Roll. It is an event that takes place every year on the White House Lawn. It's free but the tickets are not easy to come by since everybody in the nation seems to want to get in. A couple friends of mine from the ward really wanted to get in so they decided to camp with the other hundreds, or thousands of people to get their hands on tickets for their families to take part in this annual event. They were all hyped up about it until they heard it was going to snow that night. But still that just made them make come adjustments to the number of layers of clothes they were wearing and the amount of blankets they were going to sleep with. They were determined. At the last minute, one of them needed someone to watch her kids from 5:00 am to 8:00 am, so that her husband could go get in line with her to get the right about of tickets they needed. (They only allowed two adult tickets per person, and they were getting tickets for others as well.) I said I would gladly help as long as I got to work at my normal 9:00. Well, I did get to work, around 10:15, but I kind of knew this would be the case. You have to add about an hour to anything when you are going downtown. I had a pleasant time with the kids and they successfully got all the tickets they needed. On Sunday we found out that the other lady they got the tickets for had had her baby about 4 weeks early. She was fine and so was her baby, but she definitely wasn't going to take her 3 year old daughter to the Easter Egg Roll now. So I was chatting with the other ladies and they said if her dad couldn't take her, I could come and help with the new big sister, after all, she was going through a lot of changes and she probably needed to get away. So it was a plan. I had work off and everything. We took the metro down, and they let our group in at about noon. The kids had a great time. There was face painting, magicians, Easter egg painting, musical performances, ( I think by famous Disney Channel people. I'm not really up to speed with all of that.) story telling by famous children's book authors, and a lot more. We really didn't see it all. The little one I was the substitute mommy for, couldn't have acted better. She was perfectly behaved in her little umbrella stroller with her stuffed ducky she had obviously been carrying around by the neck since she was able to. All she really wanted to do was see Clifford the Big Red Dog. As long as she saw him, her day was complete. I would ask her if she wanted to walk around and she was content to stay put most of the time. So, it was a successful day and everyone felt their freezing night camping out was well worth it. I think it's one of those one in every 10 years type things.

4 comments:

Amber said...

It is important to do those types of things while you live there. Dad was on his mission in NYC and never went to the Statue of Liberty! We went to SLC last week and toured the Beehive house,the Conference Center and saw the Joseph Smith movie. The kids have never been to these places and we live right here!

Cami said...

Yes, apparently everyone in my ward does this annually. No thanks. Maybe next year I'll do it--if it isn't going to snow! Sheesh! Looks like fun, though, and it was nice of you to be a substitute mommy.

Janice Graham said...

What a nice little girl you tended. And that was also very nice of YOU!

Kage said...

Hi. I found your blog on a google search. I am mormon too...going to the egg roll on Monday (2009). I am wondering if it is ok to bring cameras? I have a camcorder and an SLR....so just let me know if you get this! Thanks

kristy at kristyglass dot com

thanks