Thursday, January 31, 2008

My musical past

I consider myself a musical person. I love to sing, I like tinkering on the piano (my mom taught all of us kids the piano for years), and I have played a couple woodwinds in the past. I played the flute for about three years in jr. high, and when I didn't make it to the symphonic band and didn't want to stay in the concert band for another year, (I like to blame it on my nerves during tests. I always did terribly in high pressure tests. Don't even ask me my 1st and 2nd ACT scores.) my teacher said that if I learned the bass clarinet over the summer, he could use me in the higher band. I liked the idea of learning another instrument so I took him up on it. It was almost as tall as me, and I had to deal with those gross reeds, but I really gained an appreciation for the bass line of music-which is totally different from playing the flute.All through that year, I continued with the flute in private lessons. Melody also played. We even had matching flute cases. We LOVED playing duets. I know there are numerous pictures of us with our instruments, but of course they are in Utah. I need to get my hands on those. Anyway, when we got into high school we became interested in other extracurricular activities and quit our private lessons and the school band, all the while playing for various church things to keep up with it. I am sad to say that my flute hasn't hardly been looked at for about 5 years. I do remember playing in sacrament meeting a little before I moved to Maryland, so it doesn't seem that long ago if you think about it that way. I've often thought about that talent I had and today for some reason (probably the fact that since my babysitting was canceled due to sick kids, I watched Netflix online movies all day and was getting a little bored) I decided to take the brave step to take my beautiful instrument out of it's case. I think I've been postponing this reunion since I wasn't sure how much I would remember. I would be so ashamed if all those years of learning was for nothing. I put it together like I did so many times before, I blew in it a little to warm it up and tried a scale. To my surprise, it didn't sound too bad. It really took me back. My mouth muscles were very tired, and the high notes are very sharp. (Those used to be my strong point back in the day. That's what I get for not continuing to learn. I'm an amature again.) I recored a primary song on the keyboard we have and played the melody with the flute while I let the song relay. This is what I used to do to practice at for lessons and I really enjoyed myself. I think the next time I'm in Utah, I'm going to dig up my old beginner books and brush up. A skill like this should never go to waste.As for the bass clarinet, I enjoyed the year I had with it. I think I was even first chair at some point. There were five of us, so that isn't saying much. I gave it back to the school when the year was over, as it was school property, but I 'll never forget carrying that thing to and from school everyday. It was quite a work out.

6 comments:

Marianne said...

Hee Hee I remember you playing that enormous instrument. My mind goes back to you carrying that huge case and hating to play it... Ahh, junior high. Such sweet memories:)

Merinda Reeder said...

My flute is also in the closet here in Maryland and hasn't been out of its case since Utah... And Just before we moved I sold my Tenor Saxophone (which I picked up because 30% of our band were flutes) so I think I understand the big case and the icky reeds and the love of a good deep note.
The difference between us is that I did not pull my flute out and I'm not brave enough to try.

Cami said...

I am glad you got it out, and I hope you DO start to teach it and the piano. There is definitely a market for you here! Once you start to teach people how to play, you'll be amazed at how much you really know. I bet it was fun to play with accompinament. I can't do that with a real piano.

melody said...

How nostalgic. I always wished my high register came as naturally as yours. Hey, why don't you bring your flute when you come this summer. Please???? I need a little nudge to get mine out again. We are so lucky to own the beautiful instruments, let's play them together, okay?

I know, we will sound so great Lili will want us to play at her wedding. You know it.

Lili and Jeff said...

Ha! I remember you switching to the bass clarinet. The nerve of teachers taking one twin and not the other. I always felt that to be bad form, but you embraced it very maturely. And did wonderfully of course!

Courtney said...

Emily, I just read this today (2/15) and funny, I got my flute out yesterday also, after several years of non-use. We should play together sometime! I was brushing up on my Beatles songbook, and was not sounding too terrific, so maybe I need some lessons from you...