Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I just can't.

Not much on TV lately, is there? Flipping through the channels tonight hoping for something to watch while folding laundry, we stopped for a moment on So You Think You Can Dance. I have watched a partial-season before and liked it pretty well. But the three minutes I watched tonight just turned me off of that show forever. The over-enthusiastic, way-too-cozy-with-the-contestants host, combined with the beyond annoying, trying-to-hard-to-be-cool-and-funny judges (and that one lady who scream like a lunatic wasn't even there), with the overachieverish, hyper little dancers just rubbed me the wrong way. It was just a mess and I was embarrassed for everyone involved. I just can't watch it without cringing, even if the dancers are good. Have fun SYTYCD die hards. I hope it's worth it.

Good thing I am reading a good book. I can't wait for Wipeout to start again.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Funny- I just can't watch wipeout. :)

Jules said...

Luckily we have a DVR full of Twilight Zones....

Cami said...

Yes, we just go ahead and mostly fast-forward all the judges. They are really quite soppy and full of themselves and too drippy with their criticism. I thought the dancing was really good tonight, but the judges and choreographers just seem to get worse. Too bad. But really, I'm just happy to see Pasha and Neil again, so all is well for me.

Anonymous said...

Jake said...

Yes, I have to agree with Cami. The judges are kind of full of themselves, but the dancing was fantastic (Alex and Allison's dance tonight was one of the best of any season IMO! And Neil's dance with Ashley was pretty good too), and hopefully it only gets better. But yes, we could go for a lot less of the judges and choreographers patting each other on the back and a little less surprise from the dancer's face when they get compliments would help!

But, it's great to have another season of SYTYCD underway - yay!!!

Savannah said...

Amen- the host and judges kill me! I always DVR it so I can fast forward pretty much 45 minutes of it to the good stuff :) sounds like you need some good movies on hand or something. Yay Wipeout!

Matt said...

I'm with you, Emily. I can't handle it.

Drew said...

I agree with you. As much as people have tried to convert me, I just can't care about dancing shows, and these days any kind of talent competition shows just bugs (I'm still a little amazed I watched a total of maybe three minutes of the entire last season of American Idol). We have enough shows, and to tide us over in the summer (like The Wife said) we have plenty store on the DVR.

But I'm not really one for Wipeout either... I would rather watch MXC. I just think American contestants for those games are too self-aware to be funny for me.

Drew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Standard of Liberty said...

I get what you mean. Funny how these types of shows seem to start out pretty good, all about real talent and hard work and improving oneself, and then over the years stir up and focus on emotions, feelings, drama, relationships, anything to make it more sensational. It starts emphasizing the gushy-phony rather than the sensible-real. Like C.S. Lewis said, so many good human efforts end up doing the opposite of what they were intended.

The Hunsakers said...

We love Wipeout too! It is down right funny watching everyone just wipeout. I can't watch SYTYCD either. I watched it with my family this week and wanted to fast forward through the judges. No one but the contestants care what they think anyway.