Friday, June 04, 2010

Music to their ears.

So I found out pretty quickly that being a mom brings out the silly, corny side of me (and all of us, admit it). KC and I sing them a lot of songs, and they love it. I sing a lot of the songs my mom and dad wrote for us kids, replacing my name, or the names of my siblings, with the names of my kids. Or the old favorites like A. You’re Adorable, Baby Mine, Hush Little Baby, or Family Hug, among others. Sometimes we sing oldies like Button Up You’re Overcoat, You Belong to Me, and a variety of Beatles songs, etc. They also like it when I sing the tunes of Mozart or Bach since they love Baby Einstein so much. They really like music no matter the source. In fact, the four of us watched part of Newsies yesterday, which I loved of course, and they did as well. If I was as talented as my twin sister, I’d make up songs for each part of the day, but I might just use hers instead of making up my own, okay Mel?

Anyway, a particular fave, especially with the gorgeous blossoms that we had a few short weeks ago, is Popcorn Popping. I got tired of the same old lyrics, and decided to switch it up a bit. The babies seemed to enjoy it.

I looked in the nursery and what did I see?

Three little babies staring up at me!

Everyday such a nice surprise,

Three babies laughing right before my eyes.

I can take an armful and make a treat,

A baby hug that is oh-so-sweet.

Yes it’s really so, there really seems to be,

Three little babies staring up at me!

Yes, I know, corny to the max. But hey, the kids love it, and anything that makes them happy, makes me happy.

And fyi, our next phase of sleep training was a success! They go to bed happily like they used to without swaddles or pacifiers. And they don’t make a peep (at least I don’t hear anything) for 11-12 hours. Like I said before, they really got in the habit of needing a paci replaced, or a re-swaddle a couple times per baby, per night. Mostly since we were in other peoples’ houses and didn’t want to disturb the peace. It wasn’t so bad, since they would go right back to sleep, but c’mon, that a little spoiled, don’t you think? I can’t have any of that. This is great. More sleep for everyone! Now, if I could just get them to sleep in longer than 5:30-6. . .

Well, we’re off to the park. And it’s hot. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Millie wakes up at the same time, but I can't justify making her stay in bed if she's already been there for 11 hours. Bummer.

I love the songs!

Unknown said...

clever and darling. keep singing.

love mom and dad g

Cami said...

Awesome job on the sleeps! And yes, just replace words. It's all good. Sometimes songs will make themselves up. Once about 6 years ago I just kind of made a silly wake up song that hardly made any sense, and we STILL sing it! So be careful . . .

katy said...

cute song I hope we get to see you soon(maybe in August!!!!)

Erica said...

You probably don't remember me, but I am Jill Harris Springer's cousin. I used to visit Utah and hang out with you guys sometimes. But that was a long time ago. :) I love reading your blog. You are living quite the adventure and I am amazed at all you do. Anyway, your song that you made up was darling. I am interested in the songs that your sister has come up with for different times of the day. Do you think she would share? I have been trying to make up silly little songs for my little Alayna, since she is so into singing right now, but sometimes you just have writer's block, ya know. :)

Erica said...

Thanks for responding! I am glad that you remember me. :) I will leave Melody a comment. I am definitely going to continue reading your darling blog. Thanks again.