Sunday, July 25, 2010

3 Ws.

While driving an African friend to church one weekend, he joked that there are 3 Ws that you can’t always trust  in America: Women, work, and weather. I could take offense to the first, but instead laughed, and said he was probably right. Especially about the weather.

We have had some serious heat. Unbearable. We sometimes can’t even take our morning walks we look forward too so much, because it’s already too hot by 6:30 am. During the afternoon, forget about it. It’s hard to breath.

Just yesterday morning, KC and I decided to take advantage of morning naptime by weeding the front yard that had gotten way out of hand. We were prepared to be hot, but wow. I started with plenty of energy to get the job done, but after working through the constant stream of sweat running into my eyes for about 30 minutes, I really ran out of steam. I knew it was time to call it quits when I tried to pull on a weed, and I kind of lost my grip as it just slipped through my hands . I told KC I was done, and he followed. I took off my gloves (I had  pair of latex gloves under an old pair of gardening gloves for added protection from those annoying prickly weeds we have so many of) and I could seriously pour sweat from them, my fingers left dripping. Seriously. My skin had already started to wrinkle, my hands were so wet. I had no idea because I was too hot everywhere else to notice. We came inside, drank about a gallon of water, and I started to feel dizzy and nauseous. I guess I chose to come in at the right time. Yikes. This heat is dangerous.

So today, I was resting my eyes as the babies took a nap. (I tried to nap too, but sometimes it’s hard to relax long enough to fall asleep, especially if I know the babies are going to wake up soon, which can be frustrating if you really are trying to sleep.) Then I started to hear some strong winds and thunder, followed by a rainstorm. I loved how relaxed it made me feel as I was drifting in and out of sleep. I mean, who doesn’t love being warm under a blanket during a good afternoon storm? When we were all up, the after-rain sun was shining, and I got a call from a friend asking if we survived the storm. I proceeded to tell her that I enjoyed the nice little rainfall during my rest time. She was confused and said there were extreme 60 mph winds that knocked over huge trees at her complex, and all the power in their area was out. I guess I slept better than I thought. We looked outside, and sure enough, large braches has fallen down in our front yard. At least we got a fun game/pizza night with our friends because of it (the heat in their apartment was getting bad.) Oh, and she just called to say their still don’t have power at 11 pm. Looks like we are having a sleepover too. Heat+no power=no sleep. I couldn’t  allow that.

So, my friend was definitely right about the last W. You never can trust this crazy, unpredictable weather here in the east.  I won’t even be surprised if it snows tomorrow, though, that would be too good to be true.

2 comments:

Drew said...

Yikes! How crazy that you and the poopsies didn't even notice such a huge storm. I love big storms too though. They're exciting, especially as a break from summer heat.

Also, it's refreshing to hear someone not gushing about how glorious the summer is. TOO HOT!!!

Cami said...

Whoa. I remember those storms. I miss the rain, but the tree branches flying about are scary! Glad you slept through it.