Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Why not.

I never intended to have a matchy-matchy family picture. I  don’t even put the babies in completely matching clothes that often. But how could I resist the cute little Old Navy baby flag shirts. And since I wanted one too, KC would just be left out without one, right? And since we were wearing  them at the same time,why not just take a picture? Just trying to rationalize our nerdiness, I guess. IMG_6707 Buying them was a last minute decision while doing some returns on Saturday, not some scheme to start an annual tradition that my kids will tease me for later. That’s just not me anyway. But don’t we look so. . .familyish? As cliche and hokey as we are here together, I still can’t believe that is me in the middle of all this sweet chubbiness. Holidays always make me think about the past, and I can remember specific Independence Days when I would’ve wanted this picture taken more than anything (in silly matching shirts, or not).096 099 103 

Now onto Sunday and Monday. Church on the 4th of July just sounded so patriotic, so we decided to all go, even though it wasn’t ideal for our nap schedule. KC had meetings, so I packed the babies up and met him there. We can always count on a young woman in the ward to help, but a friend just sat by us and offered instead. Everyone is always so kind to lend a hand. It was great to sing those patriotic hymns with the congregation. We made it through the meeting with only a tiny bit of fussiness forcing Ruby and me into the hallway for a few minutes. It’s so funny what kinds of things they can enjoy now, like turning pages in the hymnbook. I love it.

The rest of our 4th of July Sabbath was just relaxing and fun. My friend Christina loaned us this tiny pool that is just perfect for us right now. I think I have a few water-babies on my hands. They love to splash each other. Especially Ruby. 084A, BIMG_6661 AIMG_6667  BIMG_6672RIMG_6675       

We were completely at a  loss of what to do with ourselves on Monday. I didn’t want to waste having KC home and not do anything fun, but we seriously had no plans, and hadn’t really talked to any friends about making any. I got in touch with Christina, and we joined them for a ward picnic. It was great to chat with some friends from the stake I don’t see too often, and we got to say the Pledge of Allegiance with the crowd, which was refreshing.

After naps we joined our friends again for a little pool-popsicle-party in their back yard. The babies, again, loved the water, and though it was hot, we adults had a good time catching it up and laughing at the kids. A great impromptu festive time. Bennett took a pretty short nap earlier, so I put him down at Christina’s, and you know what, he slept like a sweetheart. I only wanted a catnap since bedtime was only a couple hours away, so I woke him up a little while later. It is great to know my babies will sleep in unfamiliar places. I feel like we could actually take a trip or something in the future. Thanks for the crib accommodations, Christina. 

Our spacious van comes in handy once again.104

Bennett

IMG_6709IMG_6711

Alex

IMG_6713

The little girls.IMG_6715IMG_6726IMG_6724

So this turned in to a long, drawn out post anyway, but I didn’t want to miss anything with these fun family times. Probably not too exciting for you, but memorable for me. My kids just make me smile.

11 comments:

Drew said...

Love it! It sounds like it's getting easier all the time to take the poopsies out and about, even if it's just to church.

Cami said...

I am a fan of matchy matchy on July 4th. If there are going to be those t-shirts, what do they expect, eh? I got them for ALL of us this year, and Jake didn't wear his (I know, the ONLY day of the year he doesn't, right?) so I didn't get a family pic. But I got one of the kids! YAY! I think you all look darling. At LEAST have the kiddos match!

Kassi said...

I love all the pictures! One big happy family. I adore the one of all the babies smiling--so sweet!

Linda said...

Emily, all of you kids (KC and Emily included) make Tom and I smile .... Hugs from the Drapers, we love you all! Those babies and their parents are so amazing.

Wendy K said...

the Popsicle makes me laugh :)

Unknown said...

Definitely NOT tacky to be matchy-matchy...it's adorable!! I love Ruby's headband, makes her look so dainty and girlie.

And props to you Em for all the adventures you have been embarking on with those three lovlies, you are definitely a super mom!

melody said...

I remember you telling me about all of these things over the phone a few days ago. (I was trying to picture the babies in the van - I see now how you took out a chair and made more space. Awesome.) The pool looks perfect for them - I love that the sides are high so they can lean on them a little. My favorite picture one of them all laughing in the van.

melody said...

Oh, I guess I was commenting on the post below. I am catching up on all these fun pictures. I love it!

Molly said...

I'm glad you guys are enjoying summer festivities. So, if your babies will sleep in unfamiliar places, then maybe, just maybe, you could venture to Virginia and have a sleepover:) Doesn't the beach sound nice this time of year? I miss you and those sweet little babies. They are such cute water babies- how fun!

Unknown said...

Fun holiday activities. good idea, removing the one seat. Cute matchies.

Amber said...

That swimsuit gets me! Sounds like you made the most of the holiday-fun times