Friday, July 30, 2010

Isn’t it about time for a visit from Mom?

I think so. And it just so happens that my mom is getting on a flight in a couple hours to come play with the babies and me. We had originally planned for her to arrive in late August, but as the babies have become more mobile, and as more and more teeth show up, things are starting to get a little tense around here. So mom graciously offered to change her ticket to an earlier date, and stay until her original leaving date. I have my mom all to myself until September 20th, and I am one happy girl.

It was a pretty hard decision for me. Not that I don’t want her here. It’s just the opposite. But I felt like I was letting myself down by accepting help. And there are many other children of hers where she lives that would love her around, I’m sure. We explored some other later (but earlier than that the original) dates, but she would always just tell me she wants to come at the soonest available date that her ticket could be changed. So I eventually swallowed my pride, and said I would love to have her as soon as she was willing to come. And, boy, am I glad she is coming.

These kids can really wear a person out. So much lifting, so many buckles (high chairs, car seats, swings, strollers, etc.), constant entertaining, and lots of holding (or crying because I can’t hold them all). We have our happy moments, but there is something about teething, mixed with mobility, and hot weather that is so exhausting. I have been surprised at the energy and stamina I have been able to maintain while taking care of the trio until now, but I think I hit a small wall with this new phase they are in. It will be so great to have my mom here to help me through this little challenge, and also help me get this place baby-proofed.

Sometimes I am just so spent, I can’t have any fun with the cuties. At times I even feel too tired to sing songs or play Pat-a-Cake. I know how much easier it is with two people, because on the weekends with KC home, it’s amazingly refreshing to have the help. So I can just imagine  how rejuvenating two months of having mom around will be. And it’s going to be fun for me to have a buddy to chat with all day, too.

I’m feeling a little spoiled having so much help, but I know I’ll be a happier, more productive mom because of it. And I have a whole list of plans and appointments to check off while she is here. Well three lists, actually: One with things I want to do alone, one with things for mom, the babies, and me to do together (or just mom and me after bedtime), and one for KC and me (which I guess also includes stuff that involves the whole family.) I am excited.

13 comments:

Drew said...

No one is going to be at home for our England party when we get back. :(

Emily said...

Just gotta have your cake, and eat it too, huh?

Woods said...

Good for you to accept some help!! You've been alone for quite some time. You deserve to have a right hand man for as long as you can, and I can't think of anyone better than your Mom. You are amazing. I always wonder how you hold yourself together and do so well with such a big challenge. You are the greatest Mom!! Those sweet babies are blessed to have you and Kc as parents!

Cami said...

Have fun! I will be at home for Drew. Boo hoo for him! He went to London! So. Glad you are planning things up! I know it's so nice to have company when you're completely worn out.

Savannah said...

There is no shame in that! What are mom's for?? I call my mom for help all the time and don't have three growing babies so, there ya go. 2 months is a long time- how fun!!

B Jensen said...

oh fun!! I am excited to make a visit there!! maybe october or november!

Jessi said...

Wow! two months of time with your mom. so fun. i'm really not looking forward to this teething stage. it definitely sounds like work.

Janice said...

I listened to a very wise professor once who told an audience that every baby deserves a mom that is calm and happy. Been my mantra ever since. Hooray for your mom who can be extra hands for you. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Moms are the best.

Unknown said...

I am a little (ok, alot) jealous you get to have your wonderful mom come help you out! I have been missing my own mom so badly these days...it will be refreshing for you to have the extra help!!

Enjoy every minute!

Amber said...

I'm so glad you have a great mom! You guys are going to have fun. It is nice to have help but also to have someone with you to see all the cute stuff they do everyday! Happy for you. Enjoy!

melody said...

I am so glad that she is there now. Of course we miss her around here, but I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we are relieved and happy to know she is with you. We love you, Mom!

Unknown said...

that will be so nice and fun to have your mom there with you! and she will be there to celebrate the triplets 1st birthday! Can you believe it is almost here? time flies! I hope you are able to get refreshed and through some more of the teething!