Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Little Magnets

044

I’ve become one of those moms. The ones with several kids tagging along as they go about their errands. I used to look at them in awe, and wonder how they made it to the store and back home in one piece. When I would shop alone, with no one else to care about but myself, I have to admit, I was a little relieved that cart full of children wasn’t mine (a rare occurrence). But now I understand why parents do such things as take all their small kids to the store, no matter how hot it is, or how many car seats you have to buckle. At least for me, it’s mostly just about getting out of the house, or killing time, even on Saturdays when KC is with us. Usually it’s just to Aldi, Costco, or Target, but we have been known to peruse the Mall from time to time. And I just may be the little bit productive in the process. My babies have proven to be great little shopping companions. Sometimes it’s nice to have the company. (But sometimes it’s not, and for those times, I have a babysitter. I’m not too crazy.) Once it was raining, and I almost just turned around and went home because I wasn’t sure if the babies would like sitting in a wet cart and riding through the rain to the store. But it was warm rain, and the babies like water, so I dried the cart well enough with a burp cloth, and they were all smiles covered in misty rain as we leisurely walked into Costco. They loved it and it turned out to be one of my most fun errands with them yet (maybe because I bought a new vacuum that I love). It may seems silly to you, but when I was pregnant, I never thought anything like this was possible, so it’s a accomplishment to me. Taking them places used to make me a little nervous, but now I see it as an adventure, usually quite a pleasurable one. And we always seem to make a lot of friends. 008 009 010

Babies are just fascinating to people. Even just one baby. I remember going places with my sisters or friends, and their kids, and thinking it was so funny how many people stopped just to say how cute their baby was. Babies just have that charisma to attract a crowd. So it’s no surprise that when I go anywhere with all three, we turn a lot of heads. I try to walk briskly, but there are always certain questions and comments that we can expect (some more intrusive than others).

  • Wow, you have your hands full!
  • Are those Twins? Oh, Triplets?!
  • How old are they?
  • Are they identical?
  • Are they all boys? (Baby girls can be bald too, btw.)
  • Two boys, and a girl? (Some people guess right.)
  • They’re so happy!
  • My sister/cousin/aunt/friend/mom’s friend’s daughter’s husband’s brother has twins/triplets too!
  • How do you manage?!
  • You are blessed!
  • Did you make it full term?
  • Just wait until they are older.
  • Did you have a c-section?
  • How much did they weigh?
  • Those are YOURS?!

035

And the list goes on. Yes, these questions are all from perfect strangers, usually just in passing. Funny, the liberties people take, just because I have three cute babies with me. I often wonder what it would be like if I was a shy person. Most people are very nice, that I have been happy to meet. The other day, we came across a pair of identical twin girls, who must’ve been in their late teens/early 20s, dressed exactly alike in pink velour sweat suits, and identical hairstyles. I also met a girl at the Library that was 35 weeks pregnant with twins. She looked about like me a year ago with a very large belly, and exhausted expression (though much skinnier everywhere else, and walking around just fine). We had a good time talking about what she is about to encounter. As much as I love to celebrate these babies, and very proudly claim them as my own, I have mixed feelings on all this attention, but that’s another post.

I’m happy to join the take-your-kids-everywhere club, and hope that my sweethearts continue to behave well enough to continue these fun outings. 043

I can’t seem to stop taking pictures of my little shopping buddies all crammed in the cart.

 

13 comments:

Drew said...

So glad they are such great outing companions. We were just thinking the other day while wrangling the London Underground system what a splash you and your babies would make here, where even somewhat biggish families are not the norm, and triplets would surely be even more unusual. Love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it. You're amazing.

I get stopped all the time at the store with only one baby! I"m guessing your shopping trips take much longer than mine. :)

Matt said...

I love the cart-pile pictures. And I miss Aldi almost as much as I miss your babi3s. My favorite reponse is "Those are YOURS??" Ha.

Cami said...

The are so funny! I used to love taking Jane shopping, just to kill the time. She used to be such a doll in the store! Maybe yours will continue in that vein because they have company. :)

McKayJoice said...

And look at you, just so darling and so skinny. Supper mom.

I have to admit my mother and I would be the ones stopping you, I know I couldn't help it. Your babies are just too darling.

My mom wants to hold them.

Jenny said...

This posts reminds me so much of the early years of my twins' lives. We got stopped in the store constantly! (The funniest comment/question I got? "Oh, I've never seen two twins look so much alike! {I'd then tell them that they were fraternal, not identical} "Oh. So you have a boy and a girl?" First they're super-identical and then they're opposite genders? Right...)

SassyMama said...

Oh man, you are braver than I am:)
I wimp out and only go to the grocery store when I have someone to watch at least two of them so I am only toting one (unless Matt is able to go with me). I know, I know... I said I was a wimp!

It is funny the things people say.. mostly because they are so taken aback by triplets. Heeheeehee. It always makes me laugh:)

They are darling in the cart!

Tracie Frost said...

Eek! They have hair!!! Love that pic with Ruby chewing in the background!

Unknown said...

Yeah, looks like they sure enjoy it. Probably love the attention. Scattering sunshine everywhere they go . . .

Amber said...

They are so stinkin' cute! They have to know you have a sweet baby girl...come on people! They are adorable and I am so glad you get out with them. Wish I was close to see you all. :-)

Sarah said...

I love how babies attract people. I think it is their sweet nature, divinity, and happy smiles. Just wait till no matter where you go, who you see, each person you pass will get three adorable "hi"s

Jann said...

Man, did this bring back memories for me. We once had a woman walk with us to our car asking all sorts of questions about our family. She stayed with us until we loaded our food and kids, and was waving as we drove off.

My favorite comment was, "are they all yours?" To which I would respond, no, I borrowed a couple of neighborhood kids to make shopping more fun."

Just a warning from experience, if you go to the zoo, be prepared to be one of the exhibits.

Amber said...

You are a brave woman. They do get a little more annoying when they are old enough to beg for everything in sight! I'm sure 3 beggers will be lovely to deal with. Just get them popcorn at target right off the bat. I think that is what Melody does!