Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Whoops. and What to do?

First of all, I just fixed about a dozen embarrassing typos and nonsense sentences in the last post, and I’m sure there are more. That will show me to speed through my proof-read while babies are whining at me. Not like it’s the first time, nor will it be the last. I have just never been a good proof-reader. I promise I know that “new” is not the same as “knew”. You were probably just looking at the pictures anyway. I blame it on mommy brain. That’s all there is to it. Or maybe I need to be more diligent about wearing my glasses, or read a text book in my “spare” time.

That brings me to another topic. I’m finally to the stage of mommy-hood where I can see why extra curricular activities are such a big part of being a stay-at-home mom. There is a reason why Etsy, blogging, cooking, and photography have become so popular. I LOVE my babies like crazy, but sometimes I just need something to challenge me or take me away for a moment. Baking and cooking have always been something for me to fall back on in situations like this, but I’m not as motivated in that area right now for some reason. I guess I’ve just been down that road, and am glad to use those skills should the opportunity arise (I don’t really want a bunch of sweets around the house while I’m here all day, and don’t get to the store a lot to be creative will all our meals, and when I do, I’m either in a hurry or tired). The Culinary Arts is still my first love when it comes to hobbies and interests, but I’m ready for my brain to go in a different direction. Am I sounding a little desperate here? If so, I’m not. I just mean to say that I want to take advantage of this time I have at home, when my babies don’t need me, that is. I know life is just going to get more crazy in the years to come, so I feel like now is the time to take something up. Do you moms out there know what I’m talking about?

I don’t want to go crazy or anything. Just a little something on the side that won’t turn into a priority or a chore, but that I look forward to. But let’s get one thing straight, I am not crafty. Scrapbooking is so far out of the question, it’s not even funny. And, though I own a few crochet hooks and have used them in the past, I don’t see myself reaching for them when I have a moment to spare. See, I’m a little picky in this area of my life, which is why I often resort to shopping, napping, reading, blogging, working out, watching a TV series, movies, or baking. All are short-term, non-committal type things, that just get me through the day. But sometimes, I just want to be more productive/creative than that (but most of the time, I feel completely justified in just lounging around during every tiny moment to spare).

I know I am doing the most important thing right now, taking care of my babies. I’m not trying to fill a void, because any previously existing voids are definitely filled by my loves now. But there has to be a little outlet for me somewhere for those rare, quiet, alone moments while they are youngins. I can see it being really fun when the babies are old enough that we can do things together. I have plenty of ideas for when that day arrives.

Maybe I’ll be a bit cliche and join a photography class. That seems like a productive use of my time. I can see that skill being very useful in the years to come with my own family, and I even have the equipment to get started right away. What are some other stay-at-home, road-less-traveled hobbies out there I could give a go at? Anyone?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all, you are hilarious. When I was reading your post yesterday and saw "new" I did a double take, I knew the sweeties must have pulled you away...it's not like a Graham to have an error like that :)

Secondly, I think it's totally necessay to have an outlet. I have a few friends that seem burned out lately because they take NO time for themselves. I don't think a photography class is too cliche at all, and that's not something that will cause clutter in your home (unlike my blasted craft stuff that my hubby has come to despise!).

Good luck with the search...let us know what you decide to pursue!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way when I have grammatical errors in my posts. Don't worry. :)

I also feel the same way about needing a hobby. Lately, I've been indexing family history names--easy and short term. Also, I have started several projects that I can do while the babe is sleeping. For example, making a baby quilt, making scripture books for the baby, and learning a new language (I've been brushing up on my Spanish, and I checked out a Chinese CD from the library). And, lots of times I'll just catch up on a TV series as well. I agree that outlets are necessary.

melody said...

Man, I often feel the same way. I like to work on a photo book sometimes. I have been wanting to learn to sew. No machine. I love to read if I am into an awesome book. Right now I am listening to David Copperfield and reading The Dead Secret. Both amazing classics.

Hey, I have an idea. Let's live next door to each other and then we can share hobbies and down time. Sound good? Ha.

Sarah said...

Yes, I think we all need a little something to look forward to, and to have a little "me time". I think you deserve it. I am so not a scrapbooker - but I really have started to love making cards - you don't need as much stuff. I also like crocheting, though that's not your thing. I really like making stuff for Lydia - bows, headbands, leggings, etc. There are lots of easy projects on blogs.

Janice said...

This site will give you lots to read and ponder:
http://daretodream.typepad.com/weblog/
or this one: http://www.lookilulu.com/

Janice Graham said...

I think you could join Cami's photog class on line! we could web cam or at least have you on speaker phone.

Cami said...

Hey, now. Photog classes are the BEST. Too bad you're not in our sister + Amber's friends one. Hmph. I started a Giant Journaling group to fill the void. Also, book groups galore, but you've got that covered.

I don't believe in proofreading on the interweb.

Tracie Frost said...

JessicaSprague has some photography classes (though, sounds like Cami already has a good venue for you.) JS also does digital scrapping classes which are great, more for what you learn about using your computer to do cool things, than the scrapbooking, in my opinion. She also has some journaling classes.

Reading/listening to biographies of prophets or other books by general authorities is something I enjoy.

There are lots of volunteer and mentoring opportunities that can be done online.

I once spent the better part of several months making out a food storage supplies list, complete with recipes, and a plan for how to acquire it.

And of course, reading your blog tops my list!