Friday, June 27, 2008

Growing Wheatgrass

As I was trying to think of fun, personal, inexpensive ways to decorate this new place, I thought some greenery would help. I was looking in my favorite magazine, Real Simple, and it provided plenty of great home decor tips. When it came to which houseplants to have, wheatgrass was one of their options. They suggested buying a piece of it at a health food store, but not wanting to go to the trouble of finding one aroud here that carried it, I decided to just grow it. It grows fast after all, and wheat it much easier to find (though, not as easy in Utah-remember this post? That's where I bought the wheat.) I found few simple instructions so if you want a low maintenance, yet modern plant to brighten up your home, try it out.
  • Soak wheat berries in water for about 12 hours.
  • Sprinkle over soil, or any porous surface. ( I guess a sponge, oasis foam, little rocks, or paper towels will all work. It will grow not matter what.)
  • Water every day or so and it will start growing almost fast enough to see it happening even without direct sunlight.
Simple enough. I gave mine a little trim because it was getting out of control. You can get pretty creative with the pot you use. I remember my grandma growing either wheat, or corn in her running shoes. She has always been an inspiration of creativity.

By the way, you can also cut the grass and grind it up to extract the juice if you feel so inclined. People pay big bucks for wheat grass juice

5 comments:

melody said...

I love it! Yes, it is just what my house needs. Oh darn it, I forgot to get my wheat when I was at mom's. Next time!

Cami said...

Yes, or they send cowboys out to get it for them before concerts!

It is very pretty. I liked how they put flowers in it and used it as a centerpiece. Very cute.

Unknown said...

I think I definitely need some of that in my kitchen. that is such a fun idea for greenery. I think I will grow three little pots and put them by the window above my sink!

Kassi said...

I love the tips. Thank you so much for sharing all the creative things you do!

The Hunsakers said...

I am going to do it. We have a spot just as you enter the house that needs a little something extra to spice it up. I had thought of a fake plant- but figured I didn't want too tacky. The Wheat grass would be perfect in jus the right container.