Monday, June 16, 2008

I'm so glad when daddy comes home...

KC's not a dad yet, but since he is the man of the house, we celebrate Father's Day anyway. The Turpins joined us for dinner. We had spice rubbed pork tenderloin with mustard bbq sauce, grilled peach salad with feta and bacon, and couscous. I must put this on EE soon. Cooking Light had so many fun ideas this month, I had to try some out. We also had a nice light dessert of frozen berries with a hot white chocolate ganache glaze and granola crumbles. It was fun to have family come over to our house. This has only recently become possible and we are delighted to have them over anytime.


As for my dad, even all the way over here in Maryland, I feel like he is always thinking and caring about me. I just can't believe all that he's willing to do for his kids. Now, being an adult, I'm starting to get an idea of what he sacrificed for his kids: sleep, money, time, personal space, and I think everything else is wrapped up in those categories. I am proud to say that my dad and I have a lot in common. I've inherited a lot of traits from him that have made me the person that I am. I know I am an early bird because of him. I remember countless times that we watched tv together before anyone else woke up, or going to get donuts in the morning together. I also remember him always being so kind and affectionate to my mom. As a child I would always cringe and giggle whe they would hug and kiss in front of me, but I appreciate that even more now that I am a wife. He taught me how I should expect to be treated as one (and of course I succeeded in finding someone more than suitable). And of course, he is always making everyone around him laugh. We kids happen to think he is particularly funny, but we all have a lot of inside jokes. (Remember the prayer at the family Christmas party?) We love you dad! Please come visit soon. We'll have a blast! (Another inside joke.)

I am also pleased to have had another dad enter my life a couple years ago. As short of a time as that is, I can easily see what a loving father KC's had in his life. My experiences with him, paired with KC stories make me so grateful for the example KC had in his life. I'm sure I owe most of KC's wonderful traits to what he learned from his Dad. I'm constantly grateful that they had a good relationship. I can tell that he has sacrificed and is still sacrificing so much for his family. We honestly can't say thank you enough for all he's done for us. And he's practically famous. (Did anyone see his segment with Katie Couric on the Today Show?) We love you Dad! We'd love a visit from you anytime as well. Enjoy the picture I took at the wedding. I think it turned out rather well, don't you?

And, my husband, of course deserves a tribute on this holiday. All I can say is that I won the jack-pot. I really couldn't ask for more. He still give me butterflies when he comes home from work, he still shows appreciation for such simple things, and he proves to me every single day that I am a truly lucky girl. I have always felt that we just fit together so well. He gives me strength when I really feel like I have nothing left. I hope I can do as much for him in our lives as he's done for me. And all of these things show me that he will be a dad that our children will be able to look up to, laugh with, and ask for help from. I have no doubt that he will exceed his fatherly responsibilities, and make our family as wonderful as it can be. KC, ICSHMILYED. (KC used to give me acronyms to figure out all the time. We'll see how well he does on this one.)And honey, you can REALLY come visit anytime you want.

Aright enough sappiness. It's rare that I go into sap mode on the blog, but the occasion was right. Until next year, happy Father's day.

5 comments:

melody said...

I love the sap. Three perfect tributes to three amazing guys. Oh, and thanks for going on those early-morning donut runs. We all benefited!

melody said...

P.S. Ha ha the prayer joke. Dad is nuts!

Unknown said...

Aw shucks. You shouldn't have. But I will take it. And, yeah, we did see a lot of good early-morning TV, eh? Of course I had a blast all the times we were together. So, thanks, and keep up the good work with KC.

Dad

Cami said...

I think I know what the acronym says. :) Very nice tribute. It was a great dinner too!

Janice said...

Perfectly stated!! I love KC and Clyde too and appreciate their wonderful traits. And Stephen G was a pretty awesome dad to raise a wonderful girl like Emily!