Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The twilight phone

Something very strange is going on. Lines must be getting crossed or something. Here's what kept happening yesterday. I'd call someone who is stored in my phone with their name attached. Someone I've called many many times before. In one instance I was calling my friend Jan. The first time I called her, a receptionist from a Doctors office or something answered, and then it rang again after she spoke. So I hung up, tried again, and got a husky voice man saying hello, then it rang again. I was starting to get freaked out and annoyed, and when I tried another time, it went to my, or maybe someone else's, voice mail. When all that was over and I finally got in touch with my friend, we laughed about it and agreed our phones are acting up together.

But, later that day I was trying to get in touch with my big bro Matt. I tried his cell, and again reached some random scary sounding voice. I thought maybe he'd changed his cell number, but that was me trying to rationalize this crazy circumstance. I knew full well the lines were being crossed again. KC tried with his cell and also got some anonymous voice. We tried my sister-in-law Cortnie's cell, getting the same result: a random office (one of them acting as if she was waiting for my call, saying "How can I help you Mr. Demos?), a raspy voice, or an answering machine. I was getting weirded out. I called my dad (miraculously reaching him) making sure Matt still had the same number, and when I tried again, it worked. I was pretty relieved, but still a little shaken up. What a weird turn of events. All I wanted to do was make a couple simple phone calls and this is what I get. I kind of feel like Moe on the Simpsons when he's picks up the phone with Bart. (Here's the the least crude of what I've heard.)

Hello, is Al there.
Al?
Yeah Al. Last name Coholic?
Let me check...Phone call for Al...Al Coholic.

Now that I kinda know how Moe feels, maybe Bart should just leave him alone.

5 comments:

Cami said...

My phone does that! In fact, one time I called a number on my caller ID, got some random person, then pushed redial and got the right person. Very strange. Also, sometimes random people start talking during my conversations! weird.

melody said...

yikes! that is kind of creepy.

Jonathan and Janessa said...

That has happened to me on a landline before, but not on my cell phone. I called my friend and she answered...and then pizza hut answered too. The weirdest part was that only I could hear the pizza hut people talking, so my friend thought I was crazy! It is a very weird feeling-I know how you feel!

Drew said...

Yes, and there's also the Amanda Hugankiss. So funny, after all these years there could still be technological mix-ups such as these. Internet things are scary because they could be anyone, but phone things are maybe even worse because you hear the voice... Eep.

Kristy said...

When we lived in Cedar Hills and would talk on the cordless house phone, Karley and I would go to a certain place in the house and we could pick up what the Ledoux's were saying! It was the strangest thing, but I have never heard of that happening on a cell phone. That is so weird!