Thursday, June 12, 2008

Wanderlust

n 1:very strong and irresistible impulse to travel. [syn: wanderlust, itchy feet]

While talking with my mom on the phone today, she used this word to describe something we were talking about. As far as I know, this is the first time I'd ever heard the word, or the first time I chose to pay attention to it if I had heard it previously. Now, does this ever happen to you: you hear a word for what you think is the first time, and immediately hear someone else say it that very day or very soon after? Well today I was watching an episode of Law and Order with the title being indeed "Wanderlust." Weird huh? Maybe it is a word I hear everyday and just haven't known it. But the funny thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened to me. Sometimes when I find out something new, whatever it is, I begin to hear it over and over as if it was just invented the day I heard it the first time, when in fact it wasn't. Maybe I'm just in a weird mood today, but I'm pretty sure I've had these thoughts all my life.

Anyway, some of you may be giggling at the fact that I'm not familiar with a word that is probably spoken very frequently, unbeknown to me. Well I've actually been thinking for a while that I should expand my vocabulary and I have found a way that I will be able to do it effortlessly, and a way that it won't slip my mind. I have subscribed myself to the Dictionary.com word of the day mailing list, in an endeavor to ameliorate my dearth of vocabulary (hehe). I check my email daily, sometimes several times, so it is the perfect way to remember each day. All too often I find myself at a loss for words with a yearning to elaborate. Some days it's worse than others depending on what's occupying my mind or how much sleep I got the night before, but still I think there is much improving to be done. So you might every now and then hear a new word pop up in my posts, and maybe it will be one that you heard from someone else for the first time that day. Then you will be right where I am.

9 comments:

Drew said...

As I recall, the first I remember hearing this word is in O'Malley's song in Disney's The Aristocats. Random connection, I know.

melody said...

I can relate completely. This seems to happen to me often as well. I always think it is such a strange coincidence! But in reality, it is probably that you never took notice of it before, as you said. Either way, I always think it is cool.

melody said...

P.S. I just signed up for the Word of the Day too. Thanks for the tip.

Matt said...

This happens to be the title of my favorite McCartney song. (You can listen here.)

It was an inspiration for me when deciding to go away to Drum Corps. In a particularly hard time during that summer, our director brought us all together and played this song for us which was extremely relevant. The serindipidy and irony of that event and the meaning that came along with it cemented the song (and by association, the wrod) in my all time top 1 category.

"Take us from the dark,
out where we can see.
Captain's out to make his mark,
this one's not to be.

Light out wanderlust,
help us to be free.
Light out wanterlust,
do it just for me...wanderlust."

Cami said...

Yes, sometimes that happens. I think mom wrote a post called Synchronicity about it. IF you think about a really old movie, or mention it, suddenly everyone is talking about it or it's mentioned on TV or something. Same for words I guess. Good practice though.

Cami said...

Oh, the post was Serendipity, as Matt used.

Sarah said...

I feel like I am always in this position too. I think I need a dictionary always with me. I also subscribed to a word of the day.
My mom has a big vocab to - why didn't we just learn it from them?

Woods said...

It's a new word for me! I think I will have to sign up for the word of the day to improve my vocab too.

Kristy said...

Never actually heard that word either! I will be looking out for it now!