Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Do we ever...will we ever...

This is the game I like to play as we're unpacking and putting things away. Do we ever use this, or will we ever use this, putting them in piles accordingly. I usually don't have a problem getting rid of things, but KC like to keep things around. I am slowly making my home into a project-less space. I sorta lost my momentum yesterday so I'm trying to buck up and get the rest of the nitty gritty done. I think I've finally narrowed down a couple more pieces of furniture that will really make our living room whole. I can't wait to see it all put together. I haven't ever really liked the home decor type stores until now. I still have a hard time in them sometimes because I am totally out of my element. If I had all the money, I'd hire someone to do all this for me. But it's actually been fun to find pieces that show our personality and serve a purpose at the same time. And it's also kind of nice that this is a very lived in old house that has really been put together well. All the hooks and shelves in the right places, curtains and blinds I actually like already up, and huge area rugs on the gorgeous hard wood floor. It's not all exactly how I'd make my own home, but I can't complain as a renter on a budget. It's a huge help.

There have been some other things I thought I'd mention.

We had impromptu brauts on the grill with sauerkraut and THE BEST watermelon with the Millers last Friday. I have been eating the watermelon all week, each time being so thankful for how perfect it is. I get a little anxiety picking out watermelons. I have a pretty good grasp on how to choose most fruits, but I'm still leaning with watermelon so I hope my techniques worked next one is equally as good. I'm sure everyone can agree that there is something so irresistible about an ice cold watermelon. The small barbecue was a nice peek into a fun summer.The next day there was a MAJOR rain/thunder/lightning storm. It was Saturday and we were doing odd jobs around the house, so it was actually quite fun. I do love a good rain storm. This one was torrential. I couldn't resist going outside and I was actually shocked when I stepped into the warm rain at the impact it had. I was soaked within seconds and just in our walkway, I was standing in water up to my ankles. I was a little frightened about the constant lightning, so I stayed close to the house, but I felt so rejuvenated when I came inside a few minute later. We're expecting more rain tonight. Sweet.

And last but not least is the mention of Jane's blessing last Sunday. She looked so adorable in her elegant dress. We got to be entertained by the boys during sacrament meeting, and later, after our church was over, went back for dinner and the traditional "nightmare" (A huge bowl full of ice cream and toppings for those not in the know. It's a family thing. Melody found out the origin in the comments from this post). It was delicious.

The contents (minus the water and lemonade)...
The masterpiece...
And the reason.

We even got to spend some of the celebration with the a few other family members via web cam. It was great, almost like they were really here (I feel so at home when Drew does his ugly face).
It was a great celebration and I should've taken of picture of the nightmare after we ate it, although I think we'd all be rather embarrassed at how much we scarfed down. It was worth it. Thanks Turpins. Cami put up a lot more pictures of the blessing day. They are so cute. Have a look.

That about does it for last weekend. I guess, it being summer and all, the picnics, barbecues, and homemade ice cream will start full swing. As much as I'm not looking forward to the hot -beyond-all-reason days, I am looking forward to the outdoor eating in the evenings (Barring I use lots of mosquito repellent. I will be prepared this year.) Bring on the parties.

5 comments:

melody said...

I am jealous of the watermelon, but happy you are enjoying it! (As you know, my first one of the summer was a total disappointment. I am still getting over it.) You look so happy in that rainstorm. How adventurous of you to get soaked just for fun. I kind of wish it was raining now so I could do the same. Actually, I hear it just might come down tomorrow...

Kassi said...

Hey Girl! I got Jilly's message. I added you to my blog. It has been fun reading yours and keeping up with you and where you are in life!

Cami said...

Nice job. I shall now copy you.

Drew said...

Very nice update! We are getting rain here as well at this very moment!

As for the webcam photos of me, talk about from the ridiculous to the sublime of expressions, ha ha! The ugly one is classic, and I am shameless about making myself unattractive.

Woods said...

Do you remember all of the rainstorms us girls would play in? I love the rain when you can play in it. Drew's face is hilarious in that picture. I miss those funny faces.