Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I don't claim to be a health freak, but

I just finished a smoothie with flaxseed, fiber, fresh spinach, and tofu added into it. It had fruit and juice in it too, but I had all those other things, so I decided to see what it would do. It was actually quite good. A banana always cuts through all the other flavors, so I didn't mind the other things at all. It was just an experiment, but it would probably be good for me to get in a habit of this.

This does lead to something I've been wondering. This is not exactly in the same vein of the previous paragraph, but anyway, I went to an organic market the other day. I seriously never go to these types of stores. I'm sure they sell great things, but it's just not my type. I just needed one thing that doesn't seem to be found at my regular stores, so I went there. The woman in front of me in the line to check out had a tiny cart full of stuff filling maybe three bags (probably her own re-usable bags of course, not that there's anything wrong with that) with her total adding up to over $150.00. It was like one green pepper here, and a bottle of juice there, and it came to that total. I just don't understand how people can use a good chunk of what our food budget is, on a few little groceries just because it claims to be organic and that their "#1 priority is to restore the environment to the maximum extent we are able"(straight from their website). I'm all about healthy eating habits. Our country obviously needs more of that. I also love that more and more companies are making things with less or no sugar. That can't hurt at all. We try to be very balanced with our diets. But do people honestly think spending triple the amount will make a different in their bodies and the environment? They could seriously go across the street to a perfectly good grocery store with way better prices. They are being robbed and they think it's all to better the earth, and their bodies. I think we are doing just fine by eating our fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and even flax seeds (and, YIKES, the occasional bag or chips, or ice cream) without a huge ORGANIC stamp of approval on it. I don't want to come across as angry or anything. I'm not. I just thought there was a whole economic crisis with the gas, and food prices going up and up and up. And still people are willing to fork it over on some principle that doesn't even make sense to me. I guess my inherited sense to get the most bang for my buck (Thanks for the training on studying price labels, Dad. I can't buy anything before looking at the price per 100 or price per lb.) is more important to me than supporting the little health food chains. I'm just a little confused.

You've probably already seen this, but I thought it went along with this topic I've been ranting about. I think it's hilarious.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree! And if you can get the same "organic" veggies at a normal grocery store, why go where it is 4 times more?
Love the commercial.

melody said...

Ha ha to the commercial. And yeah, it's just food. Eat the right stuff from the normal store and you will be just fine.

P.S. Did you happen to find any Mac and Cheese while you were in the organic section at the health food store. I can't seem to find that blue box anywhere. Hee hee.

Cami said...

very true. I agree. There are some things that can be improved for sure, but I'm not going on a high fructose corn syrup strike or anything. I guess it's just not my priority right now.

Woods said...

It's crazy! I think we'll be ok without all of the organic stuff! I've lived off of no bakes and cereal bars, and I think I'm doing ok.

Drew said...

Phew, for a second I was about to read about my sister's recently-discovered granola tendencies! That was a close one...

Yes, there's something to be said for eating healthy and taking care of your body, but these days, I think we can all see that it's going a little too far sometimes. Good heav, those tree-huggers...

Today, a few of us at a family get-together were joking (kind of) that there would be another Civil War soon between the U.S. and the environmentalists because they won't let us use the ultra-abundant resources with which our Heavenly Father has blessed us in our own country. Interesting idea...

Unknown said...

amen sister! I think "all things in moderation" is all you need to live by...some fruits, veggies, and the occasional fatboy never hurt anyone. All that mumbo-jumbo about organic food is a joke to me but if it makes someone sleep better at night and their bank account can afford it then more power to you!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the Spinach Smoothie! We eat way more spinach in a smoothie than we ever get in salads, etc. And you're right--it's incredible how the organic wave is sweeping the nation. I imagine there are some health benefits, but so far they aren't worth an extra trip and triple the bill to me either!!

Kristy said...

On the today show they did a segment on Organic foods about a year and a half ago! I couldn't stop laughing! Crazy people actually think its better for them and it doesn't make one teensy bit of a difference. What nutty people! Way to go on checking the price per ounce by the way!

Kristy said...

Also, I totally agree with Drew! I am so sick of hearing all about this "we can't drill our own oil" crap because of environmentalists. It's like the story of the ten talents! What good does it do us to bury it, or leave it buried?