Sunday, June 22, 2008

Some changes

Well, they have taken the calling that I love away from me. I have thoroughly enjoyed being the primary chorister for many months, and even before that serving as a primary teacher. Right when we got married and entered this ward, I went straight to primary, so it has a special place in my heart. Not to mention I LOVE the kids and the cute cute cute things they say every week. I was also working with a great team of women. But callings are never permanent, I just thought I'd stay in mine a bit longer.
Moving on. I am very pleased with my new calling. I was rather hesitant to say yes to this one. I think it wasn't so much that I didn't want to do it, it's that I wanted to stay with my other one. So you are probably wondering what it is. I am...the second counselor in the Young Women Presidency. Our ward has about 7 active young women (a few more come here and there when they feel like it) so there aren't any advisers. Just us presidency members. It may seem like having so few girls makes this calling a snap. But actually it's pretty tricky. You have to always make sure everyone has rides to everything (remember the wards here are very spread apart and sometimes parents are not members), some are new converts and need help staying enthusiastic about the church, most of them are one of very few members at their schools, and sometimes it's hard to get more than three to show up to an activity. (I learned all of this from listening to a lot of Molly's stories. She was is the previous presidency.) But there are definitely pros to having responsibility over a smaller number. We will be able to be pretty creative with activity planning with such a small crowd (not too many opposing voices), I can become very close to each one, and they open up more when there are less people in the room. It really wasn't that long since I was a young woman myself, so I hope I'll still be able to relate. I have only been to class for one week, but I can already tell I'll love it. And I know a lot of them from camp last year. Speaking of, I have decided, after saying no to myself and others that have asked me many times, to go to Girls Camp. But don't worry, only for a day or two. And I won't have any big responsibilities, just a helping hand. My friend even said they have room in their tent for me. So now that my brain has shifted into camp mode, I'm pretty excited about that too. So things are changing around here. I've always liked change. Now I just have to learn how to sit still for all three hours of church.

8 comments:

Janine said...

Have fun in YW. I served twice as pres in a ward with similar credentials... exhausting, frustrating, and wonderful. It is a worthy challenge of your skills! Good luck!

Sarah said...

You will be great! I hope all goes well for you.

Cami said...

Me too! I CAN'T seem to sit for church! Oh, it's horrible. Anyway, good luck with your YW calling. I have a Pre-YW calling, how funny!

Anyway, you can come over and watch Crash sometime on the Clear Play. It's awesome.

melody said...

I bet those girls adore you. You will be a great role model for them. But I bet you will miss your singers! I still laugh when I picture you getting those two boys to sing.

mylittlegems said...

I got released as Primary Chorister too and I just hate when that happens. Best of luck in your new calling!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! It must be something Janice is feeding us or something . . . just last night we talked about how Nicole is Beehive Advisor, I am now a Beehive Advisor and was 2nd counselor in our last ward with the same numbers/similar situation as yours. It's an adventure, and challenging in ways I never expected. You'll be awesome though. Good luck!

Michelle said...

You will love the Young Women. You're right about the trickiness with the small numbers, and it will be challenging at times. BUT, it is so worth it and you will have such fond memories. I still think about the girls and miss them and I'm so happy that you get to work with them! Who else is in the presidency with you? I have to make sure my girls are still taken care of :)!

Amber said...

You will be so so great in the Young Womens. They are all going to love you. Seriously you are perfect for the job. Good Luck!