Saturday, June 14, 2008

Classic summer night

I love the barbecue aspect of the summer but I do get a little tired of all the meat. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood. I've been wanting to grill pizza for a few weeks. It's all the rage on all the cooking shows and cooking segments on morning shows because people think it's new or something. We had a great time doing it last year, but with all the tips and tricks I've learned lately, we just had to do it again. And I am so glad we did. It was extremely delicious. Much better than last year if I remember correctly (the more olive oil, the better). We devoured our pizzas as we guzzled root beer, ate veggies and dip, and had chocolate mint ice cream cones to finish off. We were happy to have the Millers join us. Andrew commented that this was such a classic summer meal. I'll agree.

Here's easy directions if you want to partake in this activity. It will definitely become a regular meal for us this summer:

Place you well olive oiled , and rolled out pizza dough straight onto a hot grill. Close the lid and wait a minute or two until the dough starts to bubble and the grill side is nice and golden.

Turn the crust over to grill the other side. Place any toppings you like on the grilled side. The grill marks make a nice trough to hold all the good flavors.

Close the lid to let all the toppings warm up and the cheese melt.

Go play with the cute baby inside until your pizza is ready.
And soon enough you'll have a delectable pizza to enjoy. I think next time I'll try margarita style.
Definitely have some ice cream on hand after. KC wouldn't make a straight face for the picture. I took several, and this is what you get.
After dinner we were looking through our decidedly small collection of DVDs, and I talked them into speed watching Newsies with me. It is one of my FAVORITE movies, and for some reason had the songs stuck in my head that morning. KC gave me the DVD for some birthday or something and I haven't had an occasion to break the seal, until last night. We watched and sang along to all the songs. I even tried to do some of the dance moves that I've watched them do so many times. Those boys seemed to look so much older when I watched the movie as a kid. I was almost giddy watching it again. Baby Nathan was even mesmerized by the talented young actors dancing away. Anyone who wants to have a Newsies sing-a-long, feel free to stop in any night. Our DVD even had the words of the songs on the bottom of the screen if you want. We finished off the night with Rummikub and Wacky Six and all had a good laugh. Summer nights make me feel so free and easy. I guess I can look past the unbearable heat every now and then to enjoy this nice time of year.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

i wish I had a grill to do this... some day

Cami said...

That sounds great! We'll have to try it sometime.

Way cool about Newsies. I wonder if my boys would like it now.

Michelle said...

I love Newsies too! Only my copy is the VHS, so it isn't so easy to watch in a speed version. I like to pretend that I know the "Santa Fe" dance that Cowboy (AKA Batman) does. I mean, you see it enough, of course you know all the moves, right?? Glad you guys have fun. I can't wait to be back there with everyone again!

Unknown said...

scott and I just got newsies on netflix last week because scott has never seen it. I couldn't believe how many of the songs I still remembered. those pizzas look delicious...we'll have to try your grilling techniques!

Woods said...

I tried grilling pizzas once and they didn't turn out. I guess I didn't have enough olive oil or something. I'm very excited to try them again. Thanks for all of the pictures. They help me so much!!

Lace said...

So I wandered over here from Elise's blog the other day and I saw what you did for the pizzas. So I tried it for dinner today! It worked pretty well and everyone liked them. I had the grill on a bit high, but once I turned it down, all the other pizzas worked. It was great!