Monday, June 30, 2008

My birthday is officially October 19, 1984

Last Friday I did something I should've done a long time ago. I have been putting it off for a couple years, but I finally just made it a priority. Here's the story.

When we got married, I went to the social security office to get my name changed. (This was a very exciting day for me. I even came home and put a label on my shirt that said Emily Robinson to remind myself all day, and because I felt so happy to be KC's wife and have the name to prove it.) I wasn't quite in the know that the SS office is like unto the MVA with numbers and waiting (and waiting...) in a crowded office, just hoping you remembered all your documents. Well, they called my number, I had the marriage licence, my old social security card, ID, and everything else the website told us to bring for such an instance. Things were going smoothly until the very nice (rare in these types of places) lady told me my birth date in the items I brought, didn't match the date in her system which is the date associated with my ssn. So strange. It was 11-19-84, instead of 10-19-84. Honest mistake I suppose, but still irresponsible of whoever was in charge of entering it. Not that November the 19th is a bad birthday to have since it is my mom's and my good friend Erika's if I remember correctly. Anyway, I was worried I couldn't complete my business, since these are usually the weird types of things you encounter at places, like this causing you to make multiple trips to accomplish anything. But she said it was fine (it should be, I'd lived with it that long and it hadn't come up yet), and for me to just come back another time with my birth certificate-the one document I didn't bring because there was no need. I left feeling fulfilled with my new name, but feeling slightly annoyed that I had to do all that again, when it could've all been handled in one fell swoop.

So this task has been on my to do list for the past two years, and just wasn't important enough to remember to do it. Turns out Melody had to change it too. Someone was sleeping on the job when we were born or something. So it is done and I went early enough to be in and out in 30 minutes without a hitch. I'm mostly glad it has changed because the insurance and tax people were starting to give us grief about it. But I'd like to see them try now. I can finally cross it off my list.

More tidbits for today. I have been organizing a little bit more, and feeling even better about the house being together. But I'm curious. Am I the only one who has a room that never really feels finished? Or a room/closet that looks for nice a neat for a while and no matter what you do, it doesn't stay that way? We have a room that we use as our put-everything-in-there-until-we-can-think-of-what-to-do-with-it space. It's not horrendous, it's just not up to my organization standards quite yet. And since we can just close the door and forget about it, it's hard to feel motivated to get it exactly how I want it. So I suppose I'm just being lazy. I am feeling weird that not every corner of this place is not doing something productive, since that is the mentality I had to have in our tiny place. I think we'll make it a project for some Saturday. Until then, we'll keep the door closed.

6 comments:

Cami said...

Oh, my entire house is that way! The time that I finally felt motivated and spent hours and lots of money on my kitchen organization, and I never did finish. Ugh.

Glad you got all cleared up about the birthdate. Maybe mom wrote it wrong once while on after-birthing drugs.

Matt said...

Now...are you SURE your birthday is Oct. 19th? I mean, you were quite young when it happened. Maybe it was actually Nov. 19th and we got it all wrong. Or maybe it was an intentional trick by us and we're all having a good laugh at this point. Who can every know?

Unknown said...

our top drawer in the dresser is like that. Scott is a neat freak and so that drawer is like monica's closet on friends...things go in, and rarely come out!

Emily said...

Well my birth certificate says the right date, or else I wouldn't have been able to change it, sillies. And I don't think Mom would ever have to write it anywhere, they have people for that. I don't think they trust drugged up moms to do important things like that. And if she did mis-write it, they should've been smart enough to check it and realize that was in the future.

erika said...

Good memory on my birthday--I am impressed! I probably wouldn't have gone back to make the correction because changing my name took FOREVER! Just know that I am happy to share my birthday with whoever wants the job!

Amber said...

Hi Emily! I am finally looking at some posts! I start to freak out about things like that too. I get the kitchen desk organized then move on to the storage room, garage etc. and suddenly the desk is messy again! Why can't the whole house be organized at once?