Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My hands are tied!

This is serious torture. My oven is not working. We love our new living space, but a lot of the appliances are old, but have been very taken care of. The previous tenant didn't bake much, so she probably didn't notice that it was finicky. I was ready to bake our dinner the other night, only to find out that when I went to check if it was preheated, it was still stone cold. Luckily what I was going to bake only really needed a couple minutes in the microwave, but what if it was meatloaf or something? That would've been a disaster. We talked to the landlord who told us to search out the manual and if we didn't find anything, to give her another call to figure it out. Well KC sent off for the manual but I don't think it going to be that simple. And what's worse is I'm having one of these kinds of days. I have a need for something sweet, and it will only be fulfilled with exactly what I want. Today it is a big piece of cake with lots of frosting (Turns out Melody was craving the same thing recently. The twin powers are at it again). Not ice cream, not the delicious dark chocolate bar that is in the cupboard, but a nice, moist, delicious piece of cake. How am I supposed to achieve that without a working oven? Maybe it's all for the best. I think I'm going to resort to no-bakes, which is actually sounding pretty good since I can't remember the last time I've actually made them. But even that sound incomplete without a big scoop of ice cream to go with it. Now I'm just being too picky. And hopefully the oven is fixed before the craving really takes over and I do something crazy like actually buy a cake.

This is called a truffle cake and was a regular on the brunch menu that I prepared when I worked at the hotel. It's a dark chocolate dense cake with two layers of ganache and raspberry filling inside topped with dark chocolate ruffles. THAT is what I'm talking about.

5 comments:

Drew said...

That DOES look fantastic. I hope you get your oven working. That is a must for any home, needless to say.

Merinda Reeder said...

As it was Lizzy's birthday yesterday, we have cake in the house; however, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't meet the craving. It's a Betty Crocker Halloween cake with Christmas frosting. (I left out the seasonal sprinkles and used pink and white heart-shaped sprinkles instead)
And no ice cream.
Come on over anyway...

melody said...

THAT is also what I'M talkin' about.

Cami said...

I don't know, Chicken Out's cake is pretty good in a crisis. Plus, then you only need those couple of bites! But I understand your pain. That would be especially trying.

Kassi said...

Dang Girl, i can't read your posts anymore. I feel the need to eat after reading your delicious descriptions of the food you make.